iPhone 15 Pro introduces satellite based emergency roadside service with AAA

robgendreau

Explorer
Apple and AAA teamed up to allow users of the iPhone 14 and 15 Pros to message AAA for roadside service when out of cellular range. AAA members get the roadside service per the regular part of their plan. Non AAA members would pay out of pocket. Apple isn't charging for the sat service for at least the first two years. https://newsroom.aaa.com/2023/09/aa...ugh-apples-roadside-assistance-via-satellite/

Of course AAA doesn't do offroad tows, but hey...if you can limp it out to the road this would help.

I hope the competition (hello? Garmin? can you hear me now?) responds and allows say an Inreach message to their dispatcher GEOS to do OFFroadside service. It's not really life threatening in most situations, but it can be an emergency of sorts, so it would be a nice option to have. They ping say Matt's Offroad and out he comes to yank you off that rock.

pluton

Adventurer
It is my assumption, based on reading the available material about inReach, is that during your text dialog with the GEOS operators, you can inform them that the emergency is mechanical only and they can then dispatch towing/recovery services. Since I've never gotten stuck or crashed in a backcountry area, I haven't had...and may never have...the opportunity to find out for myself.

Apple and AAA teamed up to allow users of the iPhone 14 and 15 Pros to message AAA for roadside service when out of cellular range. AAA members get the roadside service per the regular part of their plan. Non AAA members would pay out of pocket. Apple isn't charging for the sat service for at least the first two years. https://newsroom.aaa.com/2023/09/aa...ugh-apples-roadside-assistance-via-satellite/

Of course AAA doesn't do offroad tows, but hey...if you can limp it out to the road this would help.

I hope the competition (hello? Garmin? can you hear me now?) responds and allows say an Inreach message to their dispatcher GEOS to do OFFroadside service. It's not really life threatening in most situations, but it can be an emergency of sorts, so it would be a nice option to have. They ping say Matt's Offroad and out he comes to yank you off that rock.
I think the Spot brand also has dedicated messaging for roadside assistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior