iPhone vs Droid for gps/navigation purposes

wADVr

Adventurer
The time has come where my Blackberry wont even make it through a single phone call. Have been trying to wait for the iPhone5 but am now rethinking the decision. For phone quality and ease of use I have been leaning toward the iPhone but I am really interested in using it for mapping and navigating the backcountry. I had read good things about the Navigon app for iPhone but it seems that the backcountry navigator for droid might have the upper hand.

Anyone have any insight on this?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I've got one of the original Moto Droids. I don't have any experience with the iPhone.

I don't think you can beat the Google map app on the Android platform as a general purpose GPS navigator around town.

I've been using Backcountry Navigator for about 6 months now. I've used it on some off road trips, and also a few times while hiking. There are a few things about the user interface I might change, but overall it works very well. I think I'd really like it for off road use on an Android tablet. The small screen of my phone is pretty limiting for use in the truck.

As I said, I can't really compare with the similar apps on the iPhone, but these two work very well for me.

You might also factor your thoughts/requirements about 4G into your decision. Verizon's 4G LTE network is about 3 times faster than anyone else's 4G technology, and is not available on iPhone. Wait a few days to confirm, but my expectation is it will still not be on the iPhone 5.

chasespeed

Explorer
I have a Driod... (HTC Indredible), mine is 3g... I use the Google Maps, AND Back Country Navigator... I dont use GPS for navigation much, in my case, its nice being able to find a tower if I cant see it from the road, or cant find the access road...

the 4G from VZW is freaking amazing... faster than my DSL...

Anyway... it all depends on YOUR preference I think... I am happy with mine... the GPS utility, is great....

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online