Is it possible: Convert m101a1 axle to 6 or 8 lug hubs

Voltronjacko

So I have an M101a1 axle that doesn't have the tires/rims any longer. I want to still use the axle if possible, but I want to replace the huge 5 lug hus with a more modern 8 lug (like the m101a2 and a3). Can this be done? Pictured is what I'm starting with.

02052013903.jpg

tarditi

Explorer
According to my friends on SteelSoldiers, the consensus is to replace the axles and hubs - you'll save some weight, too - could also go with a set of timbrens and really get some clearance!

If you're dead set on keeping the axles, you need to do some fabricating or serious parts sourcing... if it's worth it is up to you.

shack

Adventurer
I tried to swap hubs on my 101a2 axle and the hold up is the wonky size bearings the army uses. There's only one civilian equivalent and its off an old F100 platform and they are nearly impossible to source. Best bet is to go with a new axle as suggested by tarditi

jonesw3

Adventurer
It's much easier and cheaper to replace the axle with one that has the lug pattern you want. I did mine last weekend. I got the axle from https://www.southwestwheel.com

I got and axle, ubolts, and spring plates for less than $200 shipped.

232f7bdcb231ab7e248cd1e9eae17852.jpg

52d83bcec3e8c8717bbf13db989efc4f.jpg

Alabama Overland

rlynch356

Defyota
Jonesw3 - was that a 63" hub face to Hub face axle?

i checked out their prices seems reasonable - and i'd gain brakes.

only problem is no one makes a 5x6.5 axle so i'll have to go with a 5x5.

SETX3519

Hi,
I purchased a M101A1 in great shape a while back and have decided to keep the original tires and rims. If your looking to do an axle swap if or if you have already completed the swap, i'm looking for spare tires, rims and parts. If you still have the old parts and interested in selling let me know.

Thanks,
Aron K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman