Is it worth the extra money?

iamdanwoody

Observer
I have an appointment set up to have my bed sprayed with line-x and for an additional $80 they will do the top of the bed rail, and for a few bucks over that they will do the rear fender wells. Is it worth the extra money to do the bed rails if I'm going to have a rack on the truck or should I just do the fender wells? Or maybe just pocket the money and do the bed. Pictures will be put up Monday night. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
If you ever decide to put a camper shell on, I wouldn't do the top of the bed rails, it has a harder time sealing.

iamdanwoody

Observer
That was my thought, although I imagined that there would be some sort of a foam gasket to seal the shell. Plus the rack im putting on has a plate that runs the entire length of the bed rail, I considered the linex to help provent rubbing and rusting under the plate.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I'd disagree that it is harder to get a seal. On my last rig, the bed rails were not lined and my canopies all sealed just fine, but I've had nothing but good luck getting my canopy to seal on my current rig with lined rails. The surface of Line-X is not that rough so any good foam seal should work.

rkj__

Adventurer
I went over the rails because they were scratched by the previous owner.

I have a soft roll up tonneau cover, so no rack or canopy, but I do find myself stepping on the rails when loading and unloading the truck sometimes.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would do the top of the bed rails. It is good protection for a rack or cap/camper shell. And you are correct, the foam will seal it up. Not quite as "airtight" as just paint, but more than good enough.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd disagree that it is harder to get a seal. On my last rig, the bed rails were not lined and my canopies all sealed just fine, but I've had nothing but good luck getting my canopy to seal on my current rig with lined rails. The surface of Line-X is not that rough so any good foam seal should work.

my '92 had it on the rails, had a hell of time getting it to seal.

i'll just chock it up to bad experience

YMMV :)

98dango

Expedition Leader
Do the rails you'll be happy in the long run. The rack or topper will not rub and rust the top of the.box.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Don't do any of it. If you spill gas or especially diesel in the bed it will smell forever! Yuck!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears