Is regearing a Dana 35 really a waste of $$$?

Strizzo

Explorer
I’m working through the same decision process currently. I will be inheriting an 05 TJ that my grandfather used to pull behind his motorhome. He had e lockers put in the Dana 30/35 axles but did not change anything else (no lift/tires). There was an issue with the rear locker not fully disengaging so he had it pulled out and the open center put back in.

The wiring remains, as does the d30 front locker, so i can put a locker back in with somewhat minimal extra work. The rear end is making a terrible noise as is so it needs work anyways.

From what I read on the wrangler forums, the super 35 kit, which swaps in a 30 spline locker center section and axles, and replace the outer bearing to match, is the same strength as a stock Dana 44, it just doesn’t fix the c-clip issue. According to info there, a super 35 is good for up to 35” tires.

1stDeuce

Explorer
TL/DR: If you already have the selectable locker that was removed, just get it fixed and re-installed and move on with life. If standing on the stupid pedal is your thing, buck up for a bigger rear axle.

If you want a Detroit Locker in a D35, the Super 35 kit certainly helps keep it alive. The one drawback is that the Super 35 kit only works with the Detroit Locker as far as I know, and IMO, the Detroit Locker is not something you want in the back of a street driven TJ, especially if you have a manual trans...

I would not think the rear D35 with a selectable locker would be any easier to break than the D30 front with a locker... People break axles by putting things in a huge bind and then expecting more throttle to fix it, or by letting the Jeep hop while adding power... It's fairly uncommon for a reasonably driven vehicle to just break an axle in my experience...

Strizzo

Explorer
while I do have the elocker that came out, it had issues and it was only running 29 or 30” tires. I am planning on lifting a bit and running at least 33” tires. While I’m not the hardest on equipment I would prefer the peace of mind of a little stronger axle.

I’ve wheeled an Xterra with the D44 variant rear and now also have a bronco with a D44 locking rear so I’m comfortable with that level of strength. I figured since I need to overhaul the rear anyways (it is currently making bad noises due to the shop slapping the open carrier back in) I might as well make it better.

I have found a kit that uses an Eaton elocker, so it should be the same as before only stronger.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yup, or as strong as the Elocker, which is probably not bad. It's likely the elocker from before had issues not because of tire size, but because of a mfg defect or installation error, particularly if it wasn't releasing properly...
Honestly, I'd do a bit of looking for a junkyard TJ D44 before pulling the trigger on beefing the 35 if your goal is strength... That way you get bearing retained axles too instead of the C-clips... They are out there, but can be difficult to find...

Regardless, a 33" tire on a TJ is, IMO, pretty decent. Going bigger than that requires more lift, long arms for decent ride, etc. A TJ is a much smaller rig than a JK, New Bronco, etc. I'm running 33's on mine with about 2 to 2-1/2" of lift spread between springs, spacers, and a 3/4" body lift. It's about the limit of what I consider workable for short arms, but with a belly-up center skid and 1" MML, there is a lot of clearance under it and it's amazingly capable for being on what by today's standard are relatively small tires...

Good luck!!

rnArmy

Adventurer
Good luck finding a TJ Dana 44 in a junkyard.

I had a Dana 44 built with 33 spline alloy axles and a Detroit Softlocker. My TJ is a stick. It is perfectly doable on pavement, but you will notice it back there. I call it the "Detroit Shimmy" when it disengages and then reengages.

1000000185.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior