Is There A Pop Up With Barn Doors?

chet6.7

Explorer
I have seen campers with partial barn doors that keep the tailgate, I am looking for full barn doors for easy entry.
Thanks.

86scotty

Cynic
If I ever decide to give a pop up truck camper another try it will be a Hiatus or one like it. Dealing with a tailgate/liftgate on a truck camper was the last draw for me. Thought I would get used to it. Hated it every night. It's a shame because the tailgate of the truck itself is wonderful to have.

chet6.7

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. If I am looking at the Ovrland site correctly they keep the tailgate with their barn door option, please correct me if I am wrong. The Hiatus is interesting but the set up is not for me. I am old with lots of injuries, I should be in a full size RV but I don't want to be stuck in campgrounds. I agree a tailgate is handy, as a shelf and a porch, it is too hard to get over for me now, it was fine back in the day. I see step/ladder set ups for getting over the tailgate, but at my age with injuries it doesn't appeal to me. I don't need a Tommy Gate yet.

sn_85

Observer
The Hower Built camper also uses a barn door

chet6.7

Explorer
Thanks again for the comments.
I called Topo toppers, they are not interested in making barn doors. He did say they were coming out with something new in a month or so. Something wider is my recollection, but don't hold me to it.
I called 4 Wheel campers, got a receptionist that said she would pass the request for barn doors on.
I emailed Oru campers, they replied that they don't make full size barn doors.
I was trying to keep my driving time down by using the companies mentioned. I suspect the biggest customer base is younger folks driving Toyotas, not old stove up folks.

Dave in AZ

I have seen campers with partial barn doors that keep the tailgate, I am looking for full barn doors for easy entry.
Thanks.
Here is a guy who put a barn door on his Tune M1. He posted several videos on it, and it looks pretty repeatable.

I just got my Tune installed this week, it is fantastic.

Here is a pic. I tried to post a link to his video, but FB said no. You can join the Tune M1 Owners group at FB and search for user Chris Rinehart to see his posts. So far, it is the best barn door popup I've seen, besides OVRLND campers who build one.Screenshot_20240122_184234_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior