Is there a RTT that can handle extreme weather ?

TwinStick

Explorer
Yes, that is a serious question. I am asking because nobody, including us, wants to spend $1500 - $4000+ on a RTtent and have it leak in a driving rain storm. Or is there no such thing as an extreme weather rtt ?

I have experienced extreme weather when tent camping many times. Which is why I am asking.

Or is a ground tent better for extreme weather ?

Fishenough

Creeper
What is extreme?

A friend is up in Tombstone territorial park in their James Baroud right now. - 47c according in Dawson City this morning. It's the Space model similar to the one sitting in my carport right now. They do have a diesel heater ducted into their tent. Sure I'll find out how there night was
1be51c4d1d377f7d637334ff89226da1.jpg

crazysccrmd

Observer
In my experience the single wall design of most roof top tents is what limits them from extreme foul weather performance. My good ground tents are all dual wall, one extremely waterproof shell coupled with a ventilated inner tent wall to control both exterior and interior moisture.

Fishenough

Creeper
In my experience the single wall design of most roof top tents is what limits them from extreme foul weather performance. My good ground tents are all dual wall, one extremely waterproof shell coupled with a ventilated inner tent wall to control both exterior and interior moisture.
Certainly get more weather ability from a ground tent for less money. Many compact 4 season extreme weather tents cost the same as an entry level rtt

TwinStick

Explorer
Extreme weather to me means wind driven heavy rain.

A few years back we bought a Cabelas Green Alaskan Guide 8 person tent. First time we used it on the shore of Lake Ontario a storm blew in, 40-50 mph sustained winds and torrential downpour. It lasted 8 hours. We had zero leaks and we were impressed. It was big & heavy and complicated and we soon sold it. We just never met anyone who has a rtt to ask how it is in unexpected extreme weather conditions.

Fishenough

Creeper
Been out with others in hardshell RTTs twice in those conditions, once in North Vancouver Island winds were gusting to 70 mph, and broke a shelter tent, with all its pegs and 4 lines tie down, loose and blew it a couple hundred meters into the bush. Friends on the exposed point and their James barood we're rescuing it at 3:00 a.m. they were dry and warm in the RTT, but the vehicle was moving too much for them to get a sound sleep.

The tent was one of those reflective moving blanket tents that were popular in the Overland Community a few years ago, it got a small tear but amazingly survived

alia176

Explorer
Yes, that is a serious question. I am asking because nobody, including us, wants to spend $1500 - $4000+ on a RTtent and have it leak in a driving rain storm. Or is there no such thing as an extreme weather rtt ?

I have experienced extreme weather when tent camping many times. Which is why I am asking.

Or is a ground tent better for extreme weather ?

This one oughta handle extreme weather: https://antishanty.com/rooftop-camper/#_rtdcargo

No, you ain't gonna get anything that can handle for $1500-$4000, unfortunately.

• 28 cubic feet of cargo space (82" L x 55" W x 11" H)
  • Hard-sided 4-season camping at less than 300 pounds
  • Sleeps 2 with space for a full-sized bed
  • 4' headroom in pop-up insulated hard-sided cabin
  • 60-second setup. Flexible space for gear hauling and/or windproof bedroom.

Trail Talk

A friend is up in Tombstone territorial park in their James Baroud right now.
Wow, please report back on their experience! Our last trip with a Tepui RTT up to Tombstone in the fall brought a mix of snow and rain with frost every morning. The fabric became difficult to fold and we had to stop midday to set it up and dry out. Awkward…

Fishenough

Creeper
Wow, please report back on their experience! Our last trip with a Tepui RTT up to Tombstone in the fall brought a mix of snow and rain with frost every morning. The fabric became difficult to fold and we had to stop midday to set it up and dry out. Awkward…
Heard back, they are in Dawson city, and are both long time professional photographers not very active on social media; I didn't get any pictures out of em . Told it was horrible, as their wine bag froze in the truck. Sure they were just fine, I know in their house they have 1500 sq ft of just gear.

Pic of my drive back last Oct
761dce6cfcb32232ec956783f0495378.jpg

Last edited:

NOPEC

Certainly get more weather ability from a ground tent for less money. Many compact 4 season extreme weather tents cost the same as an entry level rtt
Another good thing about a 4 season ground tent is that you can use what ever vehicle you have as a wind/rain/snow break. Makes a big difference when there is nothing else to hide behind.....

P7260599.JPG

alanymarce

As fishenough asks "what is extreme?".

We used an Autohome Columbus in Iceland (the clue is in the name) and for the first couple of weeks the weather was pretty bad - heavy rain and wind. It worked well - no leaks, no problems.

rgallant

Adventurer
Tepui offers a weather cover and an inside insulating setup. My Tepui Ayer 2 has not leaked heavy rain in the PNW, without a cover and it was ok at -10c and high winds. But I do stake the fold-out portion of tent down.

Still around on amazon

Tepui Insulator for Rooftop Tents​

Thule Tepui Weatherhood for Rooftop Tents​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior