Is your 4.0 noisy?

nismo4x4

Observer
I have an 08 frontier nismo, king cab...bought it new, it now has about 18k miles on it. Ever since I have had it it has had what I think sounds like timing chain noise. I met another frontier owner the other day (a gen1) who thinks it is valve train noise and that something is wrong? I dont know to me valve train noise would be pinging and that sort of thing, this sounds like a chain spinning at idle....

Just wanted to check and see if you guys have similar noises under the hood...

hattrik21

Adventurer
I don't hear anything like that from my engine. If you can, go to a dealership and ask them. If they blow you off, try looking at one on the lot and see if you hear the same noise and go from there.

mcm4090

Explorer
You can hear the injector tick at idle but that is normal.

I do agree with hattrik, stop by a dealer and have them check it out.

IYF1650

could be the chain going. its (unfortunately) pretty common. a chain guide wears out, and then wears the chain. There is a TSB. the dealer will replace all chain guides and the chain under powertrain warrenty

nismo4x4

Observer
well I am taking it in on wednesday. I think it probably is the injectors...but it wont hurt to have a tech look at it especially if the timing chain guides are known for trouble.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Good to hear it was nothing serious. I have the injector tick also and haven't heard a 4.0 that doesn't.

Peck

Observer
The tick is annoying. To the untrained ear (my stupid friend) it can make one think its pinging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior