Issues with the center diff and rear diff lock,advice needed.

nckwltn

Explorer
Also the center diff lock is a 'locker' in the transfer case. It locks both front and rear drive-train to ensure they spin at the same rate.

when people change out their rear gears, does this cause problems now that the front and rear gearing don't match? Effectively causing the front and rear to now be turning at different rates?

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
when people change out their rear gears, does this cause problems now that the front and rear gearing don't match? Effectively causing the front and rear to now be turning at different rates?

Why would someone change rear gears and not the front? Regardless of center lock or not, ANY 4x4 will have issues with different f/r gears unless they are VERy close.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
nckwltn,

You must change both front and rear differential gears not just the rears alone or yes you will encounter massive issues once you put it into 4wd.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

Where is this question coming from? And yes, if there is a difference in ratio between any two objects trying to turn at the same speed then binding will occur, basic physics.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Where is this question coming from? And yes, if there is a difference in ratio between any two objects trying to turn at the same speed then binding will occur, basic physics.
My presumption is nckwltn probably hasn't ever explored this and is asking to learn about it.

Styyy

Adventurer
Well Ive had the opportunity to confirm the 2wd to 4wd engages as soon as I push the lever forward,even if the lights are flashing. I was driving up my icy driveway and confirmed this. Still unable to confirm(manually) the center diff is actually locking,light continually flashes? Therefore I cant try the rear diff:(
advice?
thanks,
Jerry

fishon1213

Observer
Did you ever figure this out?

I have a '98 gen 2.5 with a rear locker and I am having the same issue.

2H works fine
4H works fine, front wheels light up and turn off fairly quick
4HL center diff lock light just keeps flashing when in this position
4LL center diff lock light still only flashes, but its definitely in low
Rear Diff lock does engage/disengage quickly, only works in low fyi

Styyy

Adventurer
Nope,tried 20 times to "work" the center diff,but no go. I dont need the center or rear lockers in the winter, plan is to check the solenoids on the transfer case if and when it ever stops snowing and warms up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online