Jackson Cabin Az March 18-19th

timh

Explorer
After the great Southern Az Overland Adventure fell through we opted to save some cash and just head somewhere closer to camp for a couple of nights. My folks joined us in the Blazer which had been recently repaired after a loooong down time. We left Tucson through Reddington Pass. The road is really rough right now from all the rain and traffic.

On our way down into the San Pedro Valley we were greeted by vast hillsides completely covered in orange poppies.
IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

Creek crossing on Muleshoe Rd. approaching the trailhead.
IMG_2974.jpg

Rocco loved playing in the water.
IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

Camp all set up at Jackson Cabin. The cabin is actually in good enough shape to stay in and people do quite often it seems.
IMG_2991.jpg

We were exhausted from the long drive in to the cabin and we weren't really feeling the camping spot so we unanimously decided that we not be spending more then the one night there.

The next morning...
IMG_2993.jpg

Last edited:

timh

Explorer
An arch near the trail...
IMG_3002.jpg

Kiley absolutely loved all the wildflowers and was really a handful this trip!
IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

The drive home felt like an eternity. No one slept well the night before and we were just running on fumes. I don't remember the last time that one night's camping took that much out of me.

Until next time...

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the post and photos. Jackson Cabin is one of my favorite drives in southern Arizona. The geology in the cliffs to the east is incredible.

The poppies on Madera Canyon were like that yesterday... just a hillside of yellow...

... I just wish the ocotillo would fire off their orange flame tops....

....soon... just need some patience... the cottonwoods are greening up nicely.. so it won't be long...

I do so love Southern Arizona!!!

splitshot

Great pics Tim!
We stayed inside the cabin years ago, there was an old stove which housed a resident pack rat. We all were eaten alive by kissing bugs that night.

Any other water crossing the road beside bass creek?

splitshot

The section of road thru the Warbonnet ranch can get nasty during storms.

Attachments

• 100_0423-2.jpg
    100_0423-2.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 38

timh

Explorer
The section of road thru the Warbonnet ranch can get nasty during storms.

Your not joking. I camped out there near Bass Creek last Labor Day. It didn't rain on us at camp but it must have rained on the road, it was a damn soupy muddy mess!:Wow1:

timh

Explorer
Great pics Tim!
We stayed inside the cabin years ago, there was an old stove which housed a resident pack rat. We all were eaten alive by kissing bugs that night.

Any other water crossing the road beside bass creek?

Every stream in every canyon we crossed had some water running. It made for a much nicer trip!

splitshot

One of these days, I want to hike up to the B-24 crash site. Guess it's in the saddle on the North side of Basset peak.
What I did find, just below the escarpment, was a jet engine...No plane, just an engine..:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman