Jenny Craig for my Trailer

rk_az

Adventurer
Here is a "before" photo of my trailer:

P1050751-1.jpg

I completely disassembled the trailer in order to swap out the 5x5.5 drums for 6x5.5's, to match my Tacoma, as well as to clean and repaint. The plate steel used to line the cargo box, and the diamond plate on the front deck, weigh a TON. I am considering alternatives to reduce weight.

Would I have any problems with reactions between steel and aluminum, for example if I used aluminum diamond plate on the front deck?

Thinner steel would obviously help. Any other materials I could use?

Thanks

Expanded steel would work well imo for the front and would help drainage. As for the rear i would stick with steel just use a thinner gauge maybe?

alfio

Adventurer
what's the weight of the trailer? are having trouble pulling and stopping with it?

alfio

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
Would I have any problems with reactions between steel and aluminum, for example if I used aluminum diamond plate on the front deck?

Thanks

You'll have no problems as long as the dissimilar metals are separated by a barrier such as an epoxy paint or primer. If you want to really be careful dab some of the barrier paint in the holes through the aluminum before you install steel fasteners. Sorry, I build aircraft for a living.
Mike

rk_az

Adventurer
what's the weight of the trailer? are having trouble pulling and stopping with it?

I don't know how much it weighs, and I'm not sure how I would go about finding out. I have never towed it fully loaded, but I can feel it more than I would have expected empty, especially climbing hills.

That's not a big trailer - I wouldn't go making it any lighter too quickly. The less sprung weight there is (and that's what you're talking about reducing) the more the ratio between sprung and unsprung is going in the wrong direction, and in this case where you have decent size tires on it, that's important. If you don't have shockies on it, it will be throwing itself all over the place. Even if you do, if the topside doesn't weigh enough to make the springs and shocks do their job, it won't be much better. Looking at it, I'd suggest you wouldn't want to make it weigh any less.

Maybe it feels heavy because it has no rear overhang - ball weight should less than 10% of the total - put it on a public weighbridge and see how much the whole thing weighs, then see if the ball weight is more than 10%. If it is, you'd probably be better off putting more weight behind the axle than less weight in front of it. Maybe a swingaway jerry can holder or spare tyre carrier.

Attachments

• Traileroto.jpg
    Traileroto.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

UNI

Adventurer
rk_az Posted: I don't know how much it weighs, and I'm not sure how I would go about finding out. I have never towed it fully loaded, but I can feel it more than I would have expected empty, especially climbing hills.

A lot of truck stops have scales, they will weigh your trailer by itself or combination trailer & vehicle for a small fee. Its also good to know what your vehicle & trailer weight is when fully loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears