JK 2dr + Auto Home OR JK unlimited + J30 Ursa ??

retroP59

Pop Top
I'm going to buy a jeep in the next couple of months and was interested in your arguments for either of these set ups.

Option 1 Jk 2dr W/ AutoHome, Columbus or Maggiolina
Tent: +$3500
Not sure which model tent. The pricing is about the same. I like set up time to be under 1 minute. I grew up in VW's and appreciate the convenience, in fact if they would make another syncro and walk away from the Routan boom we wouldn't have to have this conversation. I'm not alone on this. Rebuilt fully pimped syncros go for over $100k! (gowesty) VW or somebody should fill this void, either way I am looking forward to the 4x4 capability of a jeep. Here are some of the thoughts that have been bouncing around regarding either of these set ups.

my thoughts on the 2 set ups....

more capable 4x4: Cool
I'm not a rock crawler or anything... I'm pretty cautious especially when rolling alone which I typically do, so the confidence inspired by the 2dr vs the unlimited might give me a bit more access.

cheaper truck: -$2500
It looks like the 2dr auto home comb is going to be cheaper. Expedition people understand what resourcefulness feels like. I don't love spending, but I hate wasting.

easy access to convertible: Cool
The 2 freedom panels would still be operational with this set up which would be fun. The Ursa set up which is much more tedious to convert?

must buy hard top: +900

Since I can't stand the external rack approach I'd have to buy a hardtop to accommodate the roof rack adding to the purchase price of the vehicle.

Easier to manage in city: OK

Sleeping quarters are removable: OK?
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I keep having visions of trying to slide this huge coffin shaped tent onto the roof by myself or worse not having it when I want it because I took it off because I got tired of looking at it. Also I'm terrible at planning. Coastal drives can easily turn into overnight weekend warrior missions. I don't really want to be handling this thing all the time. My anticipated schedule is probably weekend missions for 8 months out of the year once a month and maybe 2 or 3 one week trips per year. I think this means that I'm going to leave the tent all the time or have to set up a really slick hoist and quick release system.

rack purchase and install: $500
Rack
I'll use a yakima style rack. A huge, heavy, noisy roll cage style rack is out of the question, which is why the hardtop price is added. I'm planning on using, or making false rain gutters to accommodate two cross bars in the back and freedom top rain gutter mounted crossbar in the front. The front crossbar will have to come off to get into convertible mode but this is quick compared to removing the huge ursa and installing the soft top.

Option 2 JK unlimited W/ J30 ursa pop top +5700
no ladder to deal with. Access from inside and outside the vehicle. Standing room for changing etc. Lower ceiling than auto home. Cool integrated design. More aerodynamic. more stealth. Can accommodate additional rack for boards, bikes etc.

Smoother ride per LWB Cool
also going to be my daily driver
More room Cool
I do most of my exploring with one other person. With the sleeping situation taken out of the cargo area I think 2 people can fit their gear into a 2dr with the seats removed but more space always comes in handy, except when you're high centered.
Soft top alternative OK
I might feel compelled to remove the huge ursa with pullies and such or friends and store it and install the soft top but this sounds like a real PITA and therefore rare and unlikely. It feels kind of shameful to have a jeep and not ever get to stand up while driving.

More convenient Cool

more doors are nice. No kids yet...

New Product
There's a reasonable amount of concern and risk when buying any new innovative product.

Post your argument for either set up and how you'd use it. If you see better ways or problems please point them out. The logic behind the set up is important to me and I think people would like to hear it. OR drop the whole thing for a RCSB tacoma and a flip pac?View attachment 149670View attachment 149671View attachment 149672

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Ordered a j30 for my unlimited, should have it in April.

I owned a Vanagon syncro (non westy) and loved the convenience, always wanted a syncro westy but noticed the price as you did.
Recently I had an f150 and small slide in camper, which was nice but way too big and just too much that I never used. I sold it and bought the JK with the intent to either buy the jk habitat or j30. I'm usually alone, moving around frequently, spontaneously, so the j30 makes sense for me. My wife joins me occasionally and there is enough space since the j30 is at least as big as our normal tent that we use. It's always there, accessible from the inside, relatively low profile (compared to rack and roof top tent), can carry bikes or kayaks on top, easily removable (with a few friends). I needed something with a back seat so a single cab truck and pop up wasn't in the running.

I'm at work so I can't comment much more at the moment, but when I saw the j30 it just made sense for my use. You can save a few bucks on the jk purchase since you can buy with a soft top only. Removing the j30 should be doable with a hoist setup. I don think it will be any more difficult than removing a roof top tent and the hard top.

keithro

Adventurer
Get the four door and then make the decision on which top/tent. It drives better and wheels better in most situations, especially if you're not going to be "rock crawling."

retroP59

Pop Top
J30 on its way in April... when did you order? Is that a standard lead time or did you do some customizing? Anything special planned for the inside of the vehicle?

retroP59

Pop Top
Thanks for posting the link. Jeep is really done well. Upgraded sway bars? how's the body roll with the 3" lift and the J30?

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Thanks for posting the link. Jeep is really done well. Upgraded sway bars? how's the body roll with the 3" lift and the J30?

I have Rough Country shocks/springs which are fairly stiff so not much of an issue w/sway. I've considered the King adjustable shocks to smooth out the ride a bit - as I travel over a pretty wide variety of terrain - but still have the "harder" setting for when I tow my A-Liner. At a $1000 a pair that option might be a ways off (if at all). upgraded the steering stabilizer to Old Man Emu from stock, but thats it right now.

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
J30 on its way in April... when did you order? Is that a standard lead time or did you do some customizing? Anything special planned for the inside of the vehicle?

Couple weeks ago I guess? Their lead time is dependant on orders and supplies I guess, seems to vary from time to time when I had talked to John earlier. Not much customizing on my order, just painted to match, headliner, roof rack rails, pretty standard things.

Sure I have a lot of plans for the inside. But more plans than money. haha
I've been working a lot on suspension and steering upgrades, some axle upgrades etc. Probably will be adding a front bumper and winch soon, more off road stuff. Eventually I'd like to install a dual battery tray, deep cycles, isolator, ARB 50qt fridge on a slide, tailgate table, rear interior rack (adventure trailers or similar), possibly a drawer setup. The rear seat has to stay in, at least most of it. Later on I may get more elaborate with a water system or something, time will tell. I sold my camper to get back to basics more, but would like to have a basic kitchen type setup in the back with an awning of sorts.
I don't expect to do much with the interior this summer since I'm taking six weeks off and will be burning a lot of gas. Looks like we have a kid coming in early winter so I'm sure my spending habits are going to have to change "just a bit".

JDaPP

Adventurer
I think I have had the predicament of most of your points.
- Had a 2 Door TJ, even with just wife and me, all ways wished for 4 door. It was usually small stuff, a lowes run where I bought something alittle too long for the Jeep, the dog not having room, an occasional car pool, too much luggage, etc. The extra room makes it worth it and the difference in MPG is negligible from what I have seen. Plus you can sleep in the 4 door. Now that we have a kid that comes in very handy. Wife and kid sleep upstairs, dog and I sleep down.

- Sold TJ and bought a Liberty CRD. Was trying to set it up for camping and eventually bought a RTT (http://www.car-top-tent.com/page.asp?id=3). Was happy with it at first but taking it on and off was a pain, it affected the gas mileage and would not fit in my garage on the vehicle (I am a stickler for car in the garage). Was such a pain to get on/off not because it was heavy, it was just awkward due to the height of the vehicle and lifting it over your head and was always a 2-man/me and angry wife job. Got to the point that if we were not going for more than two days we would just take tent or sleep in vehicle.
Leaving the CRD home when I go on trips is still not easy but the JKU is just a much better setup.

- Packing up and stowing tent was also awkward as I worked cover and zipper. Clamshell might have been better.
With J30 I don't feel like I have any of those issues, we have plenty of room, top pops up and goes down in less than two minutes. I have not went camping since November and it is no big deal. If I decide to go tomorrow I just throw some gear in the back and off we go, no planning or trying to decide whether to take RTT or not. Plus i still have room on the roof if I want to add kayak, storage, etc.

As for taking the panels off that is probably the only down side as I do like opening the sun roof on the liberty and enjoying the sun. Taking the J30 off is no harder than taking off a factory hardtop. I would say with a hardtop hoist and the quick release for a hardtop (http://www.quadratec.com/products/p...t+Hardtop+Hardware&c=177&kw=13122.XX,13022.00) you could have it off in less than 10 minutes just as easy as it would be to take off the RTT. Actually probably easier with the lift as it won't be a two man job.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
J30 at Pyramid Lake Nevada

aab34261f03044177fcae28cc7155d0c.jpg

6d9677f9859be3a24ec598234977b737.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: To bad you can't go on the East side of Pyramid lake anymore !

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online