JK factory jack storage delete

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Has anybody cut out the overhanging metal where the factory jack goes? It doesn't look like the metal has any structural support. Not talking about the cubby enlargement kit that Woods sells. Lots of decent usable storage space where the jack goes. I currently have my tyre pliers, tire spoons, torque wrench, and breaker bar back there. It's fits great with room to spare, just looking for easier access. For reference, it's the area in red in this photo....

8ed457b49f90ffb48ea8cfbf23a2a019.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZMagic97

Explorer
I never cut it, but when I had my JK I had considered doing it. I honestly wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I just ripped out all my carpet and I'm trying to figure out to do with this area, and the bigger cubbie.

Today's idea is to cut out the cubbie AND the jack storage area and turn it into one bigger storage area - as big as physically possible.
It would be nice to have even more lockable storage.

-Dan

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I've seen somebody do one giant storage area using a TJ gas tank skid molded into the JK floor. Took up the entire cargo area and he gained a TON of space in the floor. If I remember correctly, he said it was a major undertaking and a pain in the ***. But it looked factory and really really good. I have the AT setup in mine, so I still need the floor there for support of the fridge slide and cargo drawer. I'm just interested in opening up that jack storage area a bit. Plus, the more space I have, the more unnecessary crap I will justify bringing because I have the room for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online