JLU Deeper Rear Storage

Jsweezy

Explorer
I have looked at adding a much bigger/deeper box into the cargo floor and it is very doable. If, you remove the JL's suitcase sized muffler and swap out the factory swaybar for a RockJock Antirock swaybar. I think its a great spot for a full size auxilary battery. This mod is on the back burner but may happen this winter.

yep i got the exhaust out of the way and am going to tear into it tomorrow to get the box out. I looked into that Sway bar but wasn’t super impressed so I’m just going to work around the stock one.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Alright Y'all, here we go.

Cut the box out, I was going to take it out as a whole but it was going to be a pain in the ass to remove it because of how they seal it to the floor and I wanted to keep the trim ring anyway cause its and means I dont have to worry about sharp edges or cleaning crap. So I cut it out, tried to cut it at the bottom of the radius but I suck so its around there ha ha.

Then I figure out where I needed to put the box, made a little cardboard template, check fit, modify, check fit, modify, check fit, modify.... you get it.

Once that was done I took measurements of the box, made adjustments and drew it up in solidworks and sent the files to a shop to cut/bend and send them my way.

After I get them and verify fitment, Ill run it over to a buddies to get welded up and then off to powder.

Ill keep y'all posted, here's some pics, I apologize for it being a separate album, they are wide hd photos. I also have video of the solid works model I am having made.

JLU Rear Storage Pics/Video (iCloud album)

Jsweezy

Explorer
That's slick Sweezy. Seeing as it's an aftermarket part for a Jeep you should've made a run of 20. They'd sell in a day.

I would have if I had the money ha ha. Plus I want to make sure everything fits first and make sure its all good before I start to offer to sell them to anyone. But I'm just a little fish over here that wants more storage.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Alright! Test fitting is done and it’s looking decent. Might need to make some slight changes here and there on the next one just to make myself feel better if someone else was getting it, but overall it’s looking good. Gonna get it welded up and mounted today and then drive around with it for a little while and try to see if there’s any issues before powder coating.

The battery in the picture is a 50ah lithium from battle born for a size reference.

Attachments

• 00623633-6EED-4F9B-8CE2-4628ECED085B.jpeg
    00623633-6EED-4F9B-8CE2-4628ECED085B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 0289DA84-221A-4308-A033-8CED784E5D56.jpeg
    0289DA84-221A-4308-A033-8CED784E5D56.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 52

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Alright! Test fitting is done and it’s looking decent. Might need to make some slight changes here and there on the next one just to make myself feel better if someone else was getting it, but overall it’s looking good. Gonna get it welded up and mounted today and then drive around with it for a little while and try to see if there’s any issues before powder coating.

The battery in the picture is a 50ah lithium from battle born for a size reference.

Woah, that is awesome, VERY nicely done. That would be a must do for me if I had a JL for sure.
You can absolutely sell this to others.

Just to clarify, does it hang lower than the stock rear storage?
Does it change anything about the muffler in the rear? (I'm not actually sure the stock JL muffer is in the spot like the JK is)

Cheers,

-Dan

Jsweezy

Explorer
Woah, that is awesome, VERY nicely done. That would be a must do for me if I had a JL for sure.
You can absolutely sell this to others.

Just to clarify, does it hang lower than the stock rear storage?
Does it change anything about the muffler in the rear? (I'm not actually sure the stock JL muffer is in the spot like the JK is)

Cheers,

-Dan

Hey Dan,

Thanks! Yes, it does hang lower than the stock rear storage. Yes it does change the muffler in the rear. You need to use a single sided exit exhaust to be able to put this into the jeep. I got the Magnaflow overland exhaust for the JL because it seemed like it would be the quietest one around. Its definitely still louder than stock which is a bummer, but its not super obnoxious and sounds decent.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Ok y'all, got it mounted up and it fits like a glove. I am going to drive with it as is for a while and make sure there isnt anything I overlooked or want to change and then ill get it powder coated and permanently mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1256.jpeg
    IMG_1256.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg