Joining the Excursion Club!

DaveNay

Adventurer
Flying to Phoenix in two weeks to drive this Excursion back to Illinois where it will join my Suburban.

The camper has been sold already locally.

IMG_20170512_085909.jpgIMG_20170512_090042.jpgIMG_20170512_090127.jpg

DaveNay

Adventurer
1994 miles from Tempe to home. The truck has been christened "Pig Pen" because it is absolutely filthy inside.

bfe34340353717d158fed7f7f9c9c16d.jpg

57340e93c205fae82a0c2bfd49f3af8a.jpg

3e77e81a1290cb7f76e198e568c99c9b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cory M

Nice Excursion. Can you compare the rear cargo room to your Suburban, with the 3rd row removed? I'm considering both and want to have enough room to store multiple bikes in the back (plan on removing front wheels). The measurements I've seen online doesn't make it seem like it's much bigger in back on the Excursion than the Suburban but I don't really trust them. Need a bare minimum of 38" tall and 60" deep. Also how much bigger does it feell to drive around than the Sub? Thanks.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Nice Excursion. Can you compare the rear cargo room to your Suburban, with the 3rd row removed? I'm considering both and want to have enough room to store multiple bikes in the back (plan on removing front wheels). The measurements I've seen online doesn't make it seem like it's much bigger in back on the Excursion than the Suburban but I don't really trust them. Need a bare minimum of 38" tall and 60" deep. Also how much bigger does it feell to drive around than the Sub? Thanks.

Cory, I would say the Ex is a couple cu ft bigger than the Sub, but not much more. I was very very surprised the first time I loaded a mountain bike in the back of the sub...I think it would be challenging to get two bikes in there at the same time. 60" deep is no problem....I think both of them can hold 4'x8' plywood with the second row also folded down. The Ex feels quite a bit bigger on the road. The leaf springs and solid axle in the front definitely make it feel more like "a truck". Both of them have stock suspension, so they both wander and wallow like all big trucks.

drumguy_18

I traveled the US for a year in a 2000 Excursion with my wife...we had four bikes standing vertically in the very back of the Excursion, front wheels removed. Another thing I love, I'm tall, 6'4" and I didn't have to lower my saddle to stand my bike vertically in the back...pretty fantastic.

rustrocket84

I have a 2000 7.3 I bought 5years ago. I’ve put 70k on her. I’m going to start a build page soon. I’ve already started a bit of work. 5” ICON lift is coming quickly. From the third row back alone is 30” from the top of the rear seat. 36” from the base of the rear seat. It will easily fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the 2nd row folded down.

Point of advice watch your rear window. The locking mechanism will get sticky and won’t lock at times without the key. If you keep valuables in it check that occasionally.

I have all the pieces to REMOVE the lift from my 2000 X. Unbelievably tall with 35in tires, but have room to possibly fit 40s. Have no clue just how tall it is, but I'm guessing about an 8in lift from BDS. Front leaf pack has 10 leafs each side, and the rear has 6 leafs and a 5.5in block. Just removing the block made a huge difference, but I also took a leaf out. Didn't get my replacement W code springs for the front in time for my vacation this year, so I had to put the blocks back in the rear. Pulled several large loads without the extra leaf and there was zero squat, may need to remove another leaf if I decide to keep them. If anyone wants the lift kit leftovers once I'm done dropping it back down, I'm happy to give them away.......

Leftovers will include:

-10 leaf front springs
-drop pitman arm
-drop relocation bracket
-dual front shock hoop w/shocks
-rear 5.5in lift blocks
-rear shocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12