justinhw's 2006 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4

pnorvell

Adventurer
Love this truck man! Very thought out additions and I like the simple nature of build, what's needed not flashy. Keep it coming!

justinhw

Adventurer
Mounting a Wildernest on a 2nd gen Tacoma

So I found a Wildernest Camper on my local craigslist and decided to pick it up. It doesn't line up perfectly (camper is too narrow in the front, just about right in the back), but my nephew and I got it to work. I only found one other instance on the web of someone putting a wildernest on a 2nd generation Tacoma so hopefully this will serve as more info for someone who wants to do the same.

First picking it up:
_0014546Medium_zps0c8c0edd.jpg

The Tacoma has plastic bed caps that cover the bedsides, but not along the front (behind the cab). So when I initially put the camper on, there was a 1/2" gap along the entire front of the camper. The solution was to remove the bed caps, which after doing so looks like this:

_0014551Medium_zps0672ee70.jpg

The camper was then aligned. I drew lines on each side of the bed rails to aid positioning. To attach to the bed, I discovered the holes in the stock rail system lines up adequately with the sides of the camper. This was a relief because my initial plan was to fabricate brackets; it is not necessary. To mark the holes for drilling, I put some paint on the end of a bolt and put it through the rail system from the bottom so that it marked the underside of the fiberglass camper side. After the paint dried the camper was removed and the holes drilled from the bottom. There are 5 attachment points on each side (the camper was mounted previously by 3).

_0014550Medium_zps62b3afc4.jpg

_0014559Medium_zps8dd41276.jpg

The setup is secure but there are a lot of entry points for water. The next step is to seal the sides. Silicone Caulking was used. The holes on the bedsides are visible but drain between the fender and the bed and don't enter the camper. It is a bit unsightly though:

_0014549Medium_zps068c62bd.jpg

The plastic bedcaps were cut and enough clips left in so that it still attaches to the bed. Another layer of silicone was added to bridge the gap to the camper. The result is a camper that looks recessed into the plastic bedcaps but is flush with the bed.

Before cleaning up:
_0014555Medium_zps52776c4b.jpg

_0014561Medium_zps6ebadcd7.jpg

I tested it out in a recent trip to Mendocino; it is very secure and works well. The tent is single-walled and the fabric is 20+ years old, but it is quick to set up and take down (2 people). Not as finessed as a flip-pac, but good enough for me.

_0014583Medium_zps8b3b8855.jpg

View from Inside:
_0014587Medium_zps3d70c434.jpg

Last edited:
J

JWP58

Very cool. I've been looking for one of these, but it looks like Im going to have to go with a fiberglass travel trailer (like a "Burro" or "Scamper")

justinhw

Adventurer
Very cool. I've been looking for one of these, but it looks like Im going to have to go with a fiberglass travel trailer (like a "Burro" or "Scamper")

Yah, unfortunately they don't come up for sale too often (at least around me)

J

JWP58

Do you know of anyone that makes a replacement tent? I cant see that holding up in wind very well. Its an awesome concept though.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Speaking as a former Wildernest owner, you can't really see it in the photos all that well, but the tent has metal tube braces on either side and in the middle/roof. These tubes are braced to each other with fiberglass poles and metal cables. I think the tents will do quite well in windy conditions, maybe not as good as my NF mountain tent, but if one was that concerned it wouldn't be all that difficult to add exterior guy-lines or interior guy-lines, but I don't think they're needed.

Do you know of anyone that makes a replacement tent? I cant see that holding up in wind very well. Its an awesome concept though.

justinhw

Adventurer
I've only used it a few nights so far and can't speak to the stability in windy conditions, but I do share your concern. I'm sure a solution can be found when the need arises.

As to the tent material, it's actually been on my list to replace it when it wears down. I was looking to use the poly-cotton heavyweight fabric similar to Eezi-Awn's - does anyone have a source for their fabric?

In the few cold nights I've slept in it, I wake up to condensation inside the tent as well as dew outside. I figure this is by virtue of being a single walled tent, even though all vents were opened. It isn't so much of a bother comfort-wise, but is a nuisance when packing it up. I would resort to wiping it down and waiting for it to dry off in the sun or packing it up wet and drying it the next day (if I am lucky). Worries of mildew mull over in my mind.

upcountry

Explorer
Justin, looks great! i love how you make it all work.

Curiously, why did you remove the bed rail caps? Why not bolt the top down on top of the rail caps?

I am sure there a million ways you could have done this, and you did what works for you, so no criticism here, just curious if it wouldnt have fitted with the rail caps intact?

justinhw

Adventurer
Curiously, why did you remove the bed rail caps? Why not bolt the top down on top of the rail caps?

The rail caps don't extend to the front of the bed, so there would be a small gap that would have to be sealed. Honestly I could have left it and put a few layers of weatherstripping there, but it seemed easier for me to just take the bed rails off so it sits flush all the way around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger