Kauai

jim65wagon

Well I must say for such a small little island, this place sure packs a lot of punch in its scenery! We flew out of Dulles on the 16th, everyone was extremely excited. Arriving in Lihue, we found our tour guide, Kimo (otherwise known as Grandpa) waiting with shuttle service. Since this was our first trip we elected to play tourist. Our guide did an excellent job showing us as much as he could without overwhelming us. Some observations so as not to take up too much of your Expedition fun, since this was not truly an expedition...

The Waimea Canyon was absolutely cool!
Zipline tour was fun. Totally unnecessary, but fun nonetheless.
Allerton Garden is georgeous!
If you go take a Catamaran ride!
Napali Coast is beautiful!
Monk Seals don't move much all day!
Whales, Whales, Whales; our week was full of whales breaching and tail flapping. Hard to get a good pic with a little camera but they were a blast to watch!
4x4 Movie tour was good; I found the van as interesting as the tour though! Next time we rent our own wheels.
The beaches! What can be said about the beaches! Love Ke'e and Anini the most.
I've gotta take hiking shoes next time!
Bubbas and Eggbert's!
Chickens!

Wow! Nice place!
Pics; we took about 600 but I'll narrow it down to a few...

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Great pics Jim.

I tried for a guaranteed duty assignment to Hawaii when i considered re-enlisting many years ago. Never made it there.

DaveM

Explorer
sinuhexavier said:
I think you meant Maui, definitely Maui... Kauai is so lame. wink wink nudge nudge

send the haole's to maui!

Actually I'm concerned for Kauai's future right now, and hope it doesn't end up as another Maui. With the demise of sugar a lot of "eco" tour stuff has sprouted up, which isn't terrible except that in many instances they end up with exclusive rights to operate in certain parts of the island. Places that locals used to have access to are now closed so that tour operators can give their visitors a feeling that these are truly pristine areas. Bummer.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Glad you had such a great time! That guide Kimo is our favorite too! He can sure grill up some good eatin' ahi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman