Kawasaki 250 dual sport as first (and only) bike

haven

Expedition Leader
Lois Price (author and overland adventurer) rode 19,000 miles from Alaska to Tierra del Diego on a Yamaha XT225, and from one end of Africa to the other on a Yamaha XT250. You won't need a bigger bike.

JRhetts

Adventurer
I have decided to get a bike that Katherine and I can share when we are off in the wilderness doing our thing. .... Keep in mind that motorcycles are not our thing and this would be a secondary mode of transportation for us.:coffee:

I think that you will find, and I think some of the posts on this thread confirm, that many mc riders assume that once you get a small bike you will want a bigger/more powerful bike.

That has not been my experience. I bought as my first bike — to be carried behind our ExPo vehicle — a Yami WR250R on the basis of several recommendations from some experienced ExPoForum members. I did not like or ride the bike well, and after crashing it hard I sold it.

In replacement, I bought a Yami TW200, and I am delighted. I can ride it on pavement, but more important I can ride it very confidently on dirt and gravel, all the places I might have to use to get out of where our larger vehicle might get stuck, and certainly where I want to explore after we park the bigger vehicle.

So, I'd say: assess YOUR needs and buy accordingly. Don't be too much swayed by others who may have different needs/appetites.

John

Snafu

Adventurer
Thank's, being a Rush fan from the beginning, I read the book as soon as it was released. I will likely have just as much trouble getting my bike license as Neal did:coffee:

It's not hard...I did a training course and took the test in a weekend when I was 20 and in college!!

Snafu

Adventurer
I think that you will find, and I think some of the posts on this thread confirm, that many mc riders assume that once you get a small bike you will want a bigger/more powerful bike.

That has not been my experience. I bought as my first bike — to be carried behind our ExPo vehicle — a Yami WR250R on the basis of several recommendations from some experienced ExPoForum members. I did not like or ride the bike well, and after crashing it hard I sold it.

In replacement, I bought a Yami TW200, and I am delighted. I can ride it on pavement, but more important I can ride it very confidently on dirt and gravel, all the places I might have to use to get out of where our larger vehicle might get stuck, and certainly where I want to explore after we park the bigger vehicle.

So, I'd say: assess YOUR needs and buy accordingly. Don't be too much swayed by others who may have different needs/appetites.

John

Great advice! I find the smaller bikes waaaaay more fun. Some people just aren't happy without a GS1200 Adventure or an Electraglide...but to me that's essentially riding in a car!

Plus a small bike is easy to pick back when you (inevitably) lay it down on a dirt road and the lower weight will save some tire tread!

Just remember ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time

Even though I only went down twice at low speed (once coming to a stop, another time taking a tricky turn that I ran out of skill on) my helmet really saved the day!

762X39

Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your input. Since Katherine and I are in our fifties, my choice of bike reflects a mature choice based on need and not wants (although I have never felt the need to get into the horsepower or 4X4 arms race) .I last rode a motor bike (illegally) when I was 13 so maybe I won't have as hard a time as Neal did getting his permit.
I met a couple of women in July, one of whom was riding a BMW 650 dual-sport and although I liked her bike...it truly isn't what I need.If I can't lift it the 1/2 metre to my Benz's bumper or onto a rack of my F150, it will stay at home where it won't help me when I need it.:coffee:

Bobfab

Observer
While i will echo everyone's sentiments on the joys of owning and riding smaller displacement and weight bikes (dirt riding enthuast and owner). I also caution new riders about riding bikes that are too slow for high speed competency. While i have heard countless stories of TW200s, Sherpas, and the like being acceptable at highway speeds I am skeptical. I have taken my old CRF230L & current DRZ400 out on the highway and it is less than confidence inspiring depending on where you live. A single cylinder dirtbike has no place on southern California interstates and superslab, to the point where you are a hazard to yourself and others. Point being if you intend on riding with a heavy street bias you are much better off and safer with an entry level bike like a GS500 or Ninja250/500. IMHO there is no comparison between a real street motorcycle and a dualsport when high distance and speed are considered.

As i eluded to also, if you are honda nut (like me) take a look at the CRF230L/M: low seat height, manageable power, easy to ride, nice 6 speed transmission.

I am skeptical.

Sorry, I am proof that some smaller Dual Sports are perfectly situated for interstates. As stated in my post I just rode from Montana to Arizona on my loaded 250. Yes, in the mountains, where their is little traffic anyways, my top speed was 65. Once I reached an average elevation, I could easily hit 75-80. Upon reaching Arizona, I was one of the fastest vehicles on the road around Phoenix. It was a joy watching the reactions of cruiser riders as I blasted past them on the interstate on my 250.

How long have I been riding - since the end of May and yet I made it alive dealing with high speed traffic in Montana and one of the most populous cities in the US with Phoenix. Will I be stepping up to a 650 when I get the chance, most certainly.

Besides, as stated by 762x39 several time through this thread, they are looking for a bike they can carry on the back of their Mog. It will be used to run into town or for emergency purposes in the backcountry so a smaller Dual Sport is what they need. A GS500 or Ninja250/500 are not really good candidates for that.

Last edited:

Bobfab

Observer
Thats fine and I respect (and in reality envy :) ) that you did that trip on a 250. I am just saying that 65-75 mph is not enough to safely be on the same road as the masses on highways. A smallbore trail-based dualsport is no substitute than one designed for highway traffic, that's all. Its that whole "Right tool for the right job adage".

I am obviously visually impaired and didnt realize this is a bike to be toted on the Mog. In that case the suggestions thrown out there already sound perfect :costumed-smiley-007

If you are mechanically inclided the used bike market is flooded with old yamaha dualsports for pretty cheap (DT series 125,250,175). While not nearly as reliable as the newer bikes posted already, its not impossible to find a DT125 for $250!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Do you need to be able to ride two up? Have you considered going even smaller?

Sachs MadAss 125cc
55 MPH / 4 spd / Electric Start / 220 lbs / 33" Seat Height
2010madass125.jpg

Tomos Streetmate 50cc - 2 Stroke
30 MPH / 2 spd auto / Electric Start / 143 lbs / 31' Seat Height
mod_46692fda89307.jpg

Both bikes have performance parts available.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Wow, that Streetmate is pretty ugly looking, but Tomos aftermarket parts are surprisingly easy to find, and cheap. I believe that the motor in the Tomos is the A2, and has been in use for close to 25 years. The older A motor was in use for a very long time also, and super easy and cheap to hopup, I had one on my Bullet.

762X39

Explorer
Do you need to be able to ride two up? Have you considered going even smaller?

I had completely forgotten the Sach. I saw an even smaller version that was aimed at the moped crowd about 6 years ago. It had a 50cc engine (to allow it to be used license and insurance free). You could easily (albeit illegally) upgrade it to 75cc for a little more oomph. I'll have to revisit it.Might even simply get two.:coffee:

ihatemybike

Explorer
I think the Streetmate is pretty cool looking for a little 50cc bike, kinda cafe racer style. Sorta looking for a used one, but then I'm also looking for a used MadAss, Honda Express or Tomos LX. For the Streetmate, I'd have to paint over a lot of the chrome, swap in some MX style bars, raise the front fender an inch or two and try to find some slightly more aggressive tires.

The Streetmate uses the popular (for a 50cc) Tomos A55 engine.
http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Tomos_A55_Performance

Cool thing I like is the "gas tank" is actually a large lockable storage compartment with the actual gas tank being located under the seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998