Kawasaki KLX250S

fkphoto

Observer
if anyone has experience on the klx250s i would appreciate hearing about your experiences on this motorcycle. i've ridden dirt bikes off and on my whole life. my current ride is the honda xr400. it's a great trail bike but not street legal and with the current california laws i would not be able to convert it. i am considering the klx because for one, my inseam is only 29" and for two, part of the kind of riding that i like to do is very technical, rocky hills, steep down hills, and i don't want to be fighting a heavy bike. my plan would be to install a big bore kit because i know it would be underpowered for what i'm used to.
i was wondering if anyone one has put in some time with one of these bikes on the hwy/frwy, because i want to know if it's half way decent on the frwy or is it way to small and underpowered. thanks

turner

I do not have any experience with the 250, but I just bought a DR-Z 400, and it is pretty nice on the road for a dual sport bike. I traded a cbr 600rr for it, so power is about a 1/3rd of my cbr, but its an incredibly fun bike. It does seem underpowered for me for the road, and a bit heavy for offroad... My woods bike is a YZ 125, so everything is heavy compared to it....

I really like the KLX 250s and have heard great things about them. If you don't plan on doing any touring and highway rides, I don't think there is a bad bike. If you stick to back roads and trails I would assume you would be very happy with it. Now change some gears around, and you just may be cruisin past me on the bigger bike easier but stock vs stock I would get a little larger bike if you plan on doing much road riding. Since you have my fav bike of all time for the woods, then maybe consider one of the 650's for a good dual sport. I really like the DR 650.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
I, too, have been lusting after one of them as an overland platform. A disadvantage (which can be remedied) for this application is the small gas tank.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I'm using a Honda CRFX 450 which with its lights is street legal.......in Oman !

not sure in CA

brum brum love it---power -light weight and manoverable.

riding here is mostly sandy so power is a set requirement, especially on 500ft high dunes !

My new desert gas tank just arrived but is as yet not fitted...25ltrs should give me the range I need, as the standard tank is just too small
and I'm on fumes by the time I get back from the local standard sawaddi ride

fkphoto

Observer
I do not have any experience with the 250, but I just bought a DR-Z 400, and it is pretty nice on the road for a dual sport bike. I traded a cbr 600rr for it, so power is about a 1/3rd of my cbr, but its an incredibly fun bike. It does seem underpowered for me for the road, and a bit heavy for offroad... My woods bike is a YZ 125, so everything is heavy compared to it....

I really like the KLX 250s and have heard great things about them. If you don't plan on doing any touring and highway rides, I don't think there is a bad bike. If you stick to back roads and trails I would assume you would be very happy with it. Now change some gears around, and you just may be cruisin past me on the bigger bike easier but stock vs stock I would get a little larger bike if you plan on doing much road riding. Since you have my fav bike of all time for the woods, then maybe consider one of the 650's for a good dual sport. I really like the DR 650.

i've thought about bigger bikes, but i really want something that has a lower seat height and is easier to control in the really difficult sections. i guess in other words, if i put my feet down, i want both of them to feel the ground beneath them. my xr400 is great, but there are many times when i would just like to not have to shift my weight to one side or the other just so i can flat foot one side or the other.

Howard70

Adventurer
Mine's for Sale

I have a 2007 with the larger Acerbis tank, a side rack for another 1 gallon container, plus some other modifications. It's been a great bike, but I'm looking to sell it.

Send me an email (snell@mindspring.com) if you'd like some photos and more details.

Howard L. Snell

fkphoto

Observer
I have a 2007 with the larger Acerbis tank, a side rack for another 1 gallon container, plus some other modifications. It's been a great bike, but I'm looking to sell it.

Send me an email (snell@mindspring.com) if you'd like some photos and more details.

Howard L. Snell

why are you selling it?? not enough power??

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I just road a buddy's '09 and loved it. I sold my KLR650 about a year ago because it was too much of a compromise, and even with all the off road parts I put on it, it was too heavy for anything but slow cruising off road with my ability level. The 250 is about 200lbs lighter, and it was amazing how I could fling it around the trails. My buddies bike was modded with a 13 tooth front sprocket (Factory is 14) and a larger, pretty aggressive tire on the back. The result was a pretty peppy ride, and great in the woods, but the top speed was about 70 at red-line, and could cruise at 60-65 pretty well. So in that setup, it wasn't a good hwy bike, but for around town and in the woods, it was AWESOME. The 6 speed gearbox of the '09 and later was pretty nice too, but you do spend a lot of time shifting. Not a problem for me, and the clutch pull was light, and I like shifting... But some have complained.

Just my opinion, I will be getting one in the next year or so.

Don

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12