Kevin & Graham Climbed at Suicide Rock

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Kevin (kellymoe) and I climbed at Suicide Rock today, a first for me and given the age of his guidebook, its been quite a few years since Kevin was there, too. The rocks don't move around too much but we acquired a more recent guide anyway. Then we hoofed our way up to the cliffs where we spent a while trying to work out where we were. Maybe the rocks move around more than we think?

We climbed a couple of routes. The first, Flower of High Rank (5.9) was a superb crack climb. Fortunately for me Kevin had not only brought the rope and rack he was also wearing leading trousers. So he took the sharp end of the rope and styled it and I followed with less style. At the top we both agreed it was a nice climb but it felt pretty hard for 5.9. Since neither of us had been anywhere near a rock face in [deleted to protect the guilty] months we can both live with that.

The second climb was the aptly named Graham Crackers (5.6) -- mostly because it would be rude not to. We raced up while the wind picked up and black clouds appeared overhead. I half expected it to rain but no such luck.

So all in all it was a great day! Kevin is a great bloke and a strong climber and we agreed to do some more sometime. :)

Cheers,
Graham

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Oh as an epilogue or addendum or whatever word Andre uses when he omits some vital information from his previous post...

I talked to Debbie tonight and she asked whether I was worried climbing with Kevin, who I'd never met before today. I said that when not one but two size ten (or maybe 11?) hexes spilled out of his backpack I knew it was all going to be OK.

Cheers,
Graham

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Graham and I had a great time today. It was nice to find I hadn't been reduced to the fetal position and sucking my thumb after the first climb. It was great to be back on the rock. Graham is was a joy to climb with. We have much in common from kayaking, ice climbing and rock climbing.

Thanks for driving Graham, I look forward to our next climbing trip.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
mtn-high said:
Glad to see you out and about and rising above it all, km!

be well!

mtn

Thanks,

The back held up until the last pitch. Still, I would rather be out there in a bit of pain than home in a bit of pain. Thanks again for your help and support.

Kevin

silentsamurai

Explorer
looks like an amazing climb! thanks for the info guys. I'll get climbing outdoors once i get a few months worth of practice in the bouldering gym first.

cheers,
adam

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
silentsamurai said:
looks like an amazing climb! thanks for the info guys. I'll get climbing outdoors once i get a few months worth of practice in the bouldering gym first.

cheers,
adam

Nah, just get out there and do it. Suicide has some great easy climbs to learn to place gear on. Come Fall and cooler temps I plan on heading out to Joshua Tree. We should get a Expo JT trip planned.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
In that photo, I think the rope in the foreground on those flaky things is on Graham Crackers.

Its way more fun climbing outside than in a gym. The only thing you have to worry about is that the folks you're climbing with are good at making anchors and placing gear. If you're on a sport route, most of the time you don't even need to worry about that because whoever set the route placed bolts to clip on the way up and an anchor at the top to lower off. You just have to worry about whether they knew what they were doing!

Cheers,
Graham

silentsamurai

Explorer
i hear ya on that climbing partner. I used to have one. but he went off to college in riverside, so now im by myself. so i gotta stick to bouldering right now. Maybe i'll find a trust wrothy person at rock city in anaheim. thats another reason why i like gym's. of course theres more people and somewhat crowded but you make friends and future climbing partners. You also can't beat the fact that it's only 5 minutes away from my house. it would take me probably 30 minutes to walk, or 10-15 to bike.

are you on the west coast for good now? or just visiting graham?

-adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan