Kitchen placement

I’m curious as to why RV kitchens seem to almost always been on the passenger side of commercial rigs and most DIY campers? I’m trying to design an interior that consolidates and simplifies the water system as much as possible and my design would have the kitchen/sink on the driver’s side. What am I missing? Thanks.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm not sure I accept your premise - there are tons of vehicles with street-side kitchen layouts. Everything from the classic Volkswagen Westfalia and Sportsmobile Westy, to most slide-in truck campers, to every Earthcruiser I've stuck my head into has had the kitchen on the left/driver's/street-side. "Campground" RVs very often have the kitchens on that side because generally the US RV industry has standardized on the street-side being the "utility" side of the camper - electrical and water hook-ups tend to be on that side, so having the galley there means that plumbing runs for pressurized city-water are short, as can be the corresponding greywater drains. Freshwater tanks can generally be located wherever is convenient (and weight distribution should be prioritized for an overlander).

There's a certain common design pattern in the Revel/Storyteller/other-large-class-B segment that puts the kitchen on the curb-side, for sure. For those models, the cynical side of me says they're selling the dream of "gazing out at beautiful vistas with the slider open while you make your morning pour-over". The slightly more practical side says that putting the kitchen on the curb makes it easier to vent cooking smells/aerosolized oils/etc to the big side door and co-locates some of the supplies like water/gas so that they could be accessible from both inside and outside the camper.

If you're building your own, then just think through how you will use it, and optimize it for your needs. I would urge you to prioritize usage over construction simplicity, if only because you'll (hopefully) be using it for much longer than you'll be building it, and I'd rather make sure my time and energy is frontloaded so that everything is easy and enjoyable when I'm in the field. If an extra couple feet of plumbing will make your life better a year from now, probably worth it.

When I built our first campervan, I used a hybrid "weekender/westy camper" layout. I did not have a fixed closet or full galley, but I did build a cabinet on the street side in order to locate the fridge and a butane stove for making coffee (and very rarely making food inside). I put the water access on the curb-side (sprayer only, no sink), because I did more cooking outside than inside and that's where it was most convenient. In our newer rig (4WC flatbed Hawk), the galley is on the street side (see above re: "normal" RV construction), but the downside is that when cooking outside, it's least-convenient to access the kitchen if something is needed.

TL;DR - there are practical considerations for some builders, but put your kitchen wherever it will work best for you in the long run.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I put mine on the driver's side. The entry door would have landed right in the middle of the 5' countertop.

Only so many combinations to get 5' counter and 7' bed in a 14' box.

I agree with the second poster. Build it for your convenience only. Saving a few feet of tubing and living with something of a compromise is not why you DIY.

I'm not sure I accept your premise - there are tons of vehicles with street-side kitchen layouts. Everything from the classic Volkswagen Westfalia and Sportsmobile Westy, to most slide-in truck campers, to every Earthcruiser I've stuck my head into has had the kitchen on the left/driver's/street-side. "Campground" RVs very often have the kitchens on that side because generally the US RV industry has standardized on the street-side being the "utility" side of the camper - electrical and water hook-ups tend to be on that side, so having the galley there means that plumbing runs for pressurized city-water are short, as can be the corresponding greywater drains. Freshwater tanks can generally be located wherever is convenient (and weight distribution should be prioritized for an overlander).

There's a certain common design pattern in the Revel/Storyteller/other-large-class-B segment that puts the kitchen on the curb-side, for sure. For those models, the cynical side of me says they're selling the dream of "gazing out at beautiful vistas with the slider open while you make your morning pour-over". The slightly more practical side says that putting the kitchen on the curb makes it easier to vent cooking smells/aerosolized oils/etc to the big side door and co-locates some of the supplies like water/gas so that they could be accessible from both inside and outside the camper.

If you're building your own, then just think through how you will use it, and optimize it for your needs. I would urge you to prioritize usage over construction simplicity, if only because you'll (hopefully) be using it for much longer than you'll be building it, and I'd rather make sure my time and energy is frontloaded so that everything is easy and enjoyable when I'm in the field. If an extra couple feet of plumbing will make your life better a year from now, probably worth it.

When I built our first campervan, I used a hybrid "weekender/westy camper" layout. I did not have a fixed closet or full galley, but I did build a cabinet on the street side in order to locate the fridge and a butane stove for making coffee (and very rarely making food inside). I put the water access on the curb-side (sprayer only, no sink), because I did more cooking outside than inside and that's where it was most convenient. In our newer rig (4WC flatbed Hawk), the galley is on the street side (see above re: "normal" RV construction), but the downside is that when cooking outside, it's least-convenient to access the kitchen if something is needed.

TL;DR - there are practical considerations for some builders, but put your kitchen wherever it will work best for you in the long run.
Thanks very much for the helpful reply. I’m really not trying to save costs so much as reduce failure points/fittings. That’s my goal. I my case the galley will be across from the dinette either way so, ideally, I’d like to have the shower/bathroom sink on the same side as the galley. Much appreciated.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would guess that fuel tank and grey/black tank placement has something to do with it. Clean water can be easily pumped to the use point, but drains are usually gravity devices.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I think there are several reasons for this choice. Placing the stove near the door provides an easy way to ventilate smoke or odors. It also offers the convenience of being able to look outside while cooking, as long as the bugs aren't too bothersome. It is also easy to pass food out to someone standing outside as it is prepped.

In my kitchen setup, I've divided it into two halves. On one side, behind the driver's seat, there's a long counter for food preparation, and my stove sits there. Underneath, I have my fridge, along with majority of my food and utensil storage.

On the right side, near the door, I've placed my sink. This arrangement makes it convenient to access and manage my water jugs, whether I need to empty the waste or put back a full one. Having the sink by the door also allows for easy handwashing when entering or leaving the van.

I believe the choice of layout is crucial; for instance, if there's seating in the van. Placing the seating behind the driver's seat makes more sense, providing a tucked-away spot, especially important when accommodating two people in the van.

jim65wagon

If you're in the US and will be using the hookups in a campground, using a campground dump station, or using the dump station at a Loves Travel stop or any RV park place all of your connectors on the drivers side. This is standard for the US.

If you're not in the US or will not travel in the US then I can not advise further...

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: plh
I think there are several reasons for this choice. Placing the stove near the door provides an easy way to ventilate smoke or odors. It also offers the convenience of being able to look outside while cooking, as long as the bugs aren't too bothersome. It is also easy to pass food out to someone standing outside as it is prepped.

In my kitchen setup, I've divided it into two halves. On one side, behind the driver's seat, there's a long counter for food preparation, and my stove sits there. Underneath, I have my fridge, along with majority of my food and utensil storage.

On the right side, near the door, I've placed my sink. This arrangement makes it convenient to access and manage my water jugs, whether I need to empty the waste or put back a full one. Having the sink by the door also allows for easy handwashing when entering or leaving the van.

I believe the choice of layout is crucial; for instance, if there's seating in the van. Placing the seating behind the driver's seat makes more sense, providing a tucked-away spot, especially important when accommodating two people in the van.
All great considerations…. Thanks for sharing your insight and making some good suggestions.

If you're in the US and will be using the hookups in a campground, using a campground dump station, or using the dump station at a Loves Travel stop or any RV park place all of your connectors on the drivers side. This is standard for the US.

If you're not in the US or will not travel in the US then I can not advise further...

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
I am in the U.S. That certainly makes me think about grey water tank placement. Thanks.

SantosKlein

Thanks, it is helpful for me too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior