KLR 650, what will I need for a long trip?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I will be purchasing 2 bikes for my father and I in the spring and starting a ride that might lasts upwards of a month. I'm interested in hard cases (pelican) that could easily be modified to work. Additional lighting (if needed) perhaps lightforce striker or lance whichever is smaller. For a GPS I have a Garmin276C and some RAM mount pieces. Are there other saddles available? Additional protection? Would I need a heavier rear spring for the added gear weight? While I realize I will packing as light as possible other than clothes, pc, toiletries, sleeping pad, small tent, sleeping bag or riding suit (can they be slept in), what else? What spares are typically needed. I would imagine a tire repair kit and micro pump as we saw 2 OJ's ago? I might be addressing the wrong crown but theis is an overland forum and if I have more tech questions on the bikes I'm sure I can find applicable forums. I'm trying to think of this a s a light weight version of packing my truck (really light). As for stoves I have many from a micro stove I picked up on exp west, I have a jet boil, MSR whisperlite, and so on. The upside of the jet boil is its all compact and has its own pot. I imagine I can just buy the MRE style camp food which I love. Thoughts concerns whacha got?

Aaron

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Here is my list for a 10-14 day Baja trip....June (hot weather). Really, add a lightweight tent, such as an MSR Hubba Hubba, sleeping bag and lightweight backpacking stove (I use an MSR Pocket Rocket, but really, really like the JetBoil), and you're set!

The Bike:

2002 Honda XR650L Dual Sport, 4.0 gallon Clarke extended range tank, Maxxis Dual Sport tires with 4mm heavy tubes, Pelican 1300 Case in place of stock tool bag, Dirt Bagz Ranger Panniers, Wolfman Number plate bag.

Spares/Fix-it stuff:

Front/Rear Tubes
Spare Spark Plug
(3) 40g CO2 canisters/Patch Kit/Tire Irons
1 Quart Oil
Spare headlight/taillight/turn signal bulbs
Clutch/Brake Levers
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Zip Ties
Tool Kit (stock)
Wire Cutters
Small Adjustable Cresent Wrench
Chain Lube
Small WD40 can
Fuses/Small Electrical Connectors and hose clamps

Personal Items:

Small First Aid Kit
Vehicle Docs/Passport (3 copies of each document)
Small Toiletry Kit
Wet Wipes/Purell Wipes
2 long sleeved supplex shirts
2 pair bike shorts
1 pair nylon shorts
1 pair nylon trousers (Used, but I'll take another pair of shorts next time.)
2 pair bike socks (Didn't use, gone for next time.)
2 pair riding socks (knee length)
running tights (Didn't use)
Fleece Vest
Teva Sandals
Suunto Vector Watch (on handlebar mount)
Petzel Myo 5 headlamp
Petzel Zipka headlamp
Shield wipes
Spare AA/AAA and Watch batteries
3/4 length closed cell foam pad
Bivy Sack
Custom Sleep Sack (Queen sized flannel sheet folded in half and sewed up....)
Stuff Sacks
Satellite Phone (Rented)
GPS
Baja Almanac Maps
Heavy Space Blanket
Lightweight Balaclava
Cotton Ballcap

Riding Gear....I'm an ATGATT guy...(All the gear, all the time.)

Aerostitch Darien Armored Jacket
Aerostitch Armored Overpants
Sidi Discovery Boots
Arai XD Helmet
Mechanix Impact II Gloves
70oz. Camelback Classic
25db earplugs (make highway riding much more comfy)
IPod

Cheers!

-H-

410652389_5j3PL-M.jpg

410652396_m57Pd-M.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well I'm one step closer, I stopped by a Kawasaki Dealer and checked out the latest KLR's, wow little different than I remember but good looking none the less. Looking at $6700 for brand new, I added my brother to the roster for the trip and hope to have 3 bikes for under $18000. I will need some gear recommendations as far as riding suits and moto boots or what kinda boots, helmets, and of course gloves. I think I will do soft panniers if I can help it (would prefer pelicans), need a ram mount for my 276c X2 and so it begins. Oh and my wife well she'll hate me for a little while.

Aaron

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
RedRocker said:
KLR650.net:roost:

X2

You'll find a lot of ideas there.

GO to http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=2 to get some ideas of how much fun you can have.
I've been following this one and it's a great read about two brothers.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377792

The KLR is an excellent choice. Although some consider it a budget machine, it is more than capable of going around the world if you want.
I have an 06 KLR built for a trip like your planning and if money is not a major problem for you then get the plastic card warmed up. Especially for three bikes!

First question:
Will you be doing the work yourself, or hire it out?
If not then you'll need a KLR Outfitter who understands your needs.
If you were closer I'd offer to help you build them. :bike_rider:

Does your group do much bike riding? :roost:

Planning on camping out the entire month long trip or just a night or two?

I prefer to take a stove for emergencies in case I can't find an open restaurant.:1888fbbd:

I find the best trips, in the US anyway, are the ones where you find and enjoy the local Mom & Pop Country Restaurants to eat at. Lot more fun to soak up the local color, as it were. And, it saves room and weight on the bike that way. Just carry snacks and MRE's for occasion dining.:camping:

I prefer to camp out and run into the nearest town for supplies. Means less to carry. :campfire:

Your budget will determine what equipment you'll need. Such as aluminum panners, Corbin seats, Happy Trails racks, soft bags, crash bars, serated foot pegs, GPS's ( I use a Garmin 450 myself), sleeping bags, tents and riding gear.

Ugh, let's see, what else?

Curtis

Here's a quick picture of my last trip in October/ November to Arkansas.

DSC00937.jpg

I find half the fun of the trip is the prepping the equipment.
I tend to just pick a destination or direction then follow the small roads on the GPS to get there.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
I need to add that riding gear is a personal choice.
I like a flip up helmet for my riding/ touring because of iit's versatility and protection. I wear a Nolan 100 E flip up. ONe of the better on the market.
If your going to ride street then get a helmet to protect your face. Dirt bike helmets are fine for off road but a fast moving rock from a car or truck can make life hard. I rode down the Pacific Coast Highway last week and was missing my Nolan real bad. The sand being kickup by traffic next to me was almost unbearable. I was wearing a Motocross full face helmet and my face took a beating.

I hate to ride without armored clothing. One fall and your can mess up you body quick.

You'll figure out what protection you'll need if you read some of the stories on ADVRider.com

Curtis

Last edited:

1speed

Explorer
Check the dealer in Naples FL. My buddy bought a brand new 08 there a little less than a year ago for $4800 out the door. $6700 is way too high! For a package deal on three bikes I would think you could get out the door for $15,500 to $16,000.
:roost:

805gregg

Adventurer
You need a different bike. A good used KLR with all the up grades and accessories is worth about $ 3800.00 thats it.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I think he's saying you should be able to find a well-farkled KLR in good shape for significantly under the $6700 they're asking for the new one....

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12