Knife Sharpener suggestions

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm not in the market for a sharpener but I find myslef in need of one. Most of the time I just send my pocket knives back to their respected companies and pay to have them sharpened, but my kitchen knives,,,,, well I use and have used up the last of the sharpening surface on that rod thing that comes with the knife block though I don't use the knife block knives all that much I answer to a higher authority for my cutlery. Anyhow I need a way to sharped regular straight edge knives from my pocket knife to my kitchen knives, as we will leave the serrated ones to Spyderco and CRKT.

Aaron

off.track

Adventurer
personally, i love the rod sharpener for large kitchen knives..

small stuff... well there are thousands of sharpeners out there.. none of them are bad.. it's just preference, really.

Nadir_E

Adventurer
Some friends swear by EdgePro, but I don't have personal experience with one. I've used a lesser version with the same idea made by Lasky that has given good results.

If you've grown used to dull knives and you do get them back to factory-sharp, be sure to keep some band-aids nearby! :sombrero:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Spyderco Sharpmaker gets my pocket knives hair-popping sharp in about a minute. It's super easy to use too.

biglos454

Adventurer
personally ive always used sharpening stones to sharpen all of my straight blades. ive used all kinds of stones, from japanese water stones and oil stones to diamond stones. currently i use a norton kit with 3 water stones. a high medium and low grit. i can put a razors edge on any knife with these, but stones arent for every1. i prefer them because i was taught to use them by my grandfather when i was very young. for on the go i use a pen style diamond rod that i carry in my pocket for quick sharpenings.

i think water stones are the best option if you dont mind a little bit of work and getting som practice with them. they can bring even the dullest and most dinged up blades to a razor sharp edge.

thats just my .02 cents though. i know plenty of people who use sharpeners to great effect. im just a water stone person because that is what i was taught and raised on:sombrero:
good luck finding the right sharpening solution for your need and preference

Lynn

Expedition Leader
For years I've prided myself with my sharpening ability using whetstones, ceramic sticks, diamond steels, etc. but about a year ago I finally resigned myself to the fact that our kitchen knives were constantly dull because when I had the time to gather everything up and sharpen all the knives, I didn’t want to…

So, what I’m trying to say is I needed to find a combination of a simple, handy sharpener, and a simple routine.

What I’ve done for the last year or so is to keep a little hand-held ceramic rod sharpener (like pictured below*), in the drawer below the knife block, and after I wash the knives, and before putting them back in the block, I give them a 8 - 10 strokes on the sharpener.

Works for me.

284814054_tp.jpg

*Mine is a Normark, similar to this one, except that it only has one slot, and it is deeper. I think I like it better because the deeper slot would help keep larger knives properly aligned.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I like using oil stones for my collection of boning, slicing and skinning knives.
I use a mix of kero with some light machine oil(never engine oil)
Sometimes a little trip to a saw doctor helps with an overly thick blade.

I think having a steel that suits the stone is important.
Rough stone ,rough steel and smooth stone ,smooth steel.

Getting the angle of the knife right as it connects with the steel is so important.
A lot of people hit the steel too hard and at a different angles on each side of the blade.
This smashes the edge of the blade
The blade should come into to land like a plane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior