Kodiak or Springbar in the sand

alosix

Expedition Leader
Headed down to the Ocean Dunes SRVA at the end of the week.

Looking for hints on pitching it in the sand (have a kodiak 6010 10x10) would be appreciated.

Wasn't planning on a sand trip, but it appears that 1/2 of the trails I wanted to hit in Los Padres are closed right now.

Jason

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
big tent pegs....the little skinny ones don't work.

Or make your own and bend up some re-bar

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Go to Home Depot and pick up some rebar about 2' long. Use them as stakes. If you want to get really fancy paint them a bright color so you will not loose them in the sand. Also while you are at the Depot pick up a 4" (2'-6" long)diameter PVC pipe and put two end caps on it. This way you have something to store the rebar in. Heavy but it will work.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Man I miss my workshop in MD :).. I think I've got enough stuff out here to bend up some Rebar stakes though.. so that shouldn't be an issue...

Think I'd need this for just the 4 corners, or all 12 perimeter ones..

rmccoy

Observer
I was at Oceano last August with the same Kodiac Tent and had no problems at all with the stock pegs. Even with the large gusts of wind, the tent was stable. The only problem was trying to put down the thin floor saver under the tent before pitching the tent. In preparation for the next time, I put gussets in the corners of the floor saver to stake it down until I can put the tent on it.

alosix

Expedition Leader
If the rebar doesn't work for you, a line lashed between the tent and a burried jerry can makes a great ground anchor as well. If you use rebar, just remember to put a nice cap on the rods. It hurts like hell to step on them, can be very deadly if you fall on one.

yeah.. was planning on at least bending them @ 90 degrees to stop from having a point like that facing up. Some caps sound handy as well. The girlfriend and I are both pretty accident prone.

Jason

Ireland

Adventurer
You need a minimum of six pegs and ideally 7 as one on either side of the door is cool, I regularly set mine up in sand and yes long pegs are al that's needed, I think re bar is too heavy though maybe instead go to a landscape supply store and get some long nails 8" or longer or find some 1/4 inch rod and bend an "L" at the top or even use your regular pegs and if there are some rocks put the rocks over the pegs once in the sand...
Post up some pics of your solution after your trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman