KTM 990 Adventure

Hi folks,

I am looking at getting a brand new (Never sold 2007 KTM 990 Adv).

Any one have any experience on here with this bike.

I am also looking at the BMW HP2. (Used w/ 3500km on it)

Both are the same price. 15ish.

Any thought on which one to go with would be great.

I plan on using it to travel 60 dirt, 40 road.

My sis has a quad and my brother in law has a WR 250 Dirt Bike. They want me to get something to go with them.

Nathan

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Assigning a good definition to "dirt" would be a good thing. Both the 990 and HP2 are both physically HUGE, and are a handfull when things get tight and rough.

A smaller bike may be better suited for traveling with a quad and a 250 (assuming that this is the main purpose).

Personally, I am a bit of a BMW geek.....but the heads sticking out that darn far on the HP2 could be a liability in some places...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Nathan,

a KTM 990 is a wonderful machine, but there is no way you are going to go along with a quad and a WR250....if that's your goal and you want something street-legal, I would look at a DRz400 or something equivalent.

Scootr

I have a...

2006 950 Adventure, and I'll tell you this thing will go anywhere you point it. That said, it is a HUGE bike - especially on singletrack and when the going get rough. It's heavy - and if you're tired you'll want a buddy to help right her - should you be so unfortunate to get horizontal.

I will never give it up - primarily, because I can also tour with it (comfortably). I also like getting the blank stares from people on 450's riding the trail.... :clapsmile Just really depends on what you intned to do with her. She's my daily rig, and I LOVE her more than life itself...

I've been considering adding TE510 or a 530EXC should I have the excess funding... Just for those times I do the park and ride with friends - seeing as how my old time riding buddy is longer allowed to ride the streets - (calling out Weasel123).

P5310019.jpg

Hit me up if you want to talk about the KTM, I know it's not the 990, but they are similar in every way other than the newer motor...

NothingClever

Explorer
2roundtheworld, TacoDoc and scootr all nailed it.

I own a 950 like ExWest and it's a phenomenal bike. Like scootr said, where you point it is where it goes (even fully loaded).

However, if you're doing primarily singletrack & technical trailwork, something lighter is going to be much more enjoyable, IMO. Enter the DRZ-400S, a TEx10E, a KLX, a 530EXC, a WR with a DS kit, etc, etc.

Conversely, if the surface you're going to ride looks similar to ExWest's photo, you'll need to tell your riding mates to bring some nitrous for their tanks because you're gonna leave them in the dust. The KTM 9x0 in one day of spirited riding will smoke sportbikes in the twisties, clean a lot of obstacles on the trail and super slab all day at 100mph+ while fully loaded AND two-up.

Oh, and KTM parts are cheaper (and better IMO) than Bring More Wallet.

BTDT....

traveltoad

Aaron S
I agree with what others have said about both being big bikes and the need to consider how you will use it.

I would argue that the 990Adv and the HP2 are also very different in purpose. The 990Adv will be much easier to set for touring (dirt or streeet). I think the HP2 is more similar to the 950R Super Enduro. The 950R SE (IMO) has more options and accessories... like a big tank and bags (soft or hard). One additional benefit is that the 950R SE can usually be found for less $.

Can you guess which one I bought?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
NothingClever said:
Oh, and KTM parts are cheaper (and better IMO) than Bring More Wallet.

Bring the wallet when you buy the bike, or bring the wallet when you are trying to ride the bike...your choice. It all works out in the end....

Now if BMW would just hire some of the KTM engineers to design a better suspension.....

:bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior