Kuhl clothing

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I will say some of the pants made with Kuhl Dry fabric can be a little warm. That fabric is 33% nylon and I think the breathability suffers because of it. It just doesn't feel soft against your skin. Feels kind of plastic-like.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I will say some of the pants made with Kuhl Dry fabric can be a little warm. That fabric is 33% nylon and I think the breathability suffers because of it. It just doesn't feel soft against your skin. Feels kind of plastic-like.

I have three pairs of the Kühl Jeans with the Kühldry fabric and I've had the opposite experience when it hot climates in direct sunlight. I've found that the fabric keeps you a bit cooler by keeping the sun off of you and by wicking.

I had a class in late August that was outside all day for three days in the hot Texas sun. We measured 108* in the shade and 117* in direct sunlight. On one day I wore shorts, the other two I wore the Kühl Jeans. I felt cooler and more protected from the sun in the jeans. They're light enough and provide some wicking; plus, the synthetic liner helps you move in them too. The liner doesn't appear to hinder breathing, as I would have sweat more in those temps with just under 40% humidity too (according to my notes).

I believe I would have been more uncomfortable in heavier canvas/ cotton pants like my MK Alpine pants or my Columbia ROC pants.

So, maybe your mileage may vary, but I was very happy with the performance, style, and comfort of their pants.

Something else I've noticed: they keep you warmer than you'd think at night when the temps go down. I would have thought they wouldn't, given that the fabric is so light, but they do a pretty good job of retaining some warmth.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That is interesting you found the Kuhl Dry to be cooler. Kuhl sent a dozen pair to us for our trail maintenance crews and a few guys mentioned them being warm, but then agian, it's probably all relative to the individual. They do fit nice, don't they?

Ramjet

Explorer
I bought one of they're long sleeve shirts. Got it from REI. Thing was they said it was pre-shrunk (shirt was 100% cotton), took it home washed it... let's just say it wasn't totally pre-shrunk. After having to endure my wife quoting a modified Andrew Dice Clay quote, "it's not the shirt that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat", I took the shirt back to exchange it. Nice thing about REI, no receipt, no tags, already been washed and no problem, "go get the size you need, sir." I love that.

I'm glad you got taken care of. If you have anymore questions about Kuhl, I know the sales reps and have quite a bit of knowledge about the line. You should see what is coming out in the spring.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I have the Kuhl jean cut pants also. You get the high tech fiber in a cut that looks and fits like jeans. Too bad they are made in china or I'd own more of their stuff.

greg mgm

Explorer
I bought 2 pairs of Kuhl pants and liked them so much I went back for another pair. Great pants.

BTW.....C'mon....what's coming out in the spring? :bike_rider:

I'm glad you got taken care of. If you have anymore questions about Kuhl, I know the sales reps and have quite a bit of knowledge about the line. You should see what is coming out in the spring.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
BTW.....C'mon....what's coming out in the spring? :bike_rider:
I've got the 2011 Kuhl dealer workbook right here on my desk. I would't say there's anything exceptionally different with their spring offering. Same fabrics for the most part with many of the same cuts and features. There's a few new styles and colors in tops. The line is still heavy in Kuhldry, Kuhlair and DuraKuhul fabrics, but there's now a new version of the cotton and nylon blend called the UberKuhl fabric. There's a new Sidewinder belt system available on some pants and shorts, but for the most part the line as a whole is pretty consistant with previous seasons. There's also another fabric for their pants called Wundura, which might win over some Mountain Khaki fans.

I was happy to see more use of Ionik fabric. That stuff is perfect for travel. The Rustler shirts are a personal favorite. I suspect many overlander types will gravitate towards the new Kalahari LS shirt made with ripstop Ionik fabric.

Nice stuff.

JohnBrukiewicz

I've purchased a couple pairs of their Sidewinder pants from REI, not too painful at $60.00.

I do a lot of hiking trips and they've all held up great. I also make a living in the outdoors and wear them while working and they've held up longer than any pair of Levi's I've owned in the past without wearing holes at the knee and thigh; very comparable to Carhartt products in terms of durability but have yet to rip in the outer knee area as I've experienced with many Carhartt. Plus the material is just plain cool.

I'd give them an 8/10. I have owned a lot of North Face products, for example the "Outbound" pant which is comparable. I'm honestly afraid to take these outside of my vehicle once I arrive to my hiking starting point. They just don't feel like they have the same strength and resistance to sharp rocks and wood on the trail. Same comfort as TNF product.

Also, I'm certain they do not make a 36x36 size. This ended alright as they do not rise as high as other comparisons which often fit more like insulated rain gear. The 34" inseam will work if you typically wear 36".

Trout

I have 2 pair of their 3/4 length pants (Boulder, Eiger) and one of their windproof jackets (don't see it on the website).

The jacket lives in my car.

I LOVE the 3/4 length for summer hikes - keeps the sun off the top of my knees and gives me a little more protection from scrub and I don't have to roll them up when I cross water. Soft enough that they don't chafe, strong enough to keep up during rough play.

I'm 5'10", 185#, 34" waist, 30" inseam. Kuhl pants fit my build nicely.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears