Ladder access to roof

superbeef

Hey EP,

I've got a DC SB 2011 Tacoma with a Pelfreybilt roof rack over the cab. I've got a Frontrunner rack over the canopy where I put my RTT so that's pretty much maxed out for space/attachments. I find it useful to be able to climb up on the roof of the cab to get at my emergency kits/supplies and to help zip up the RTT. The problem is, jumping back down, I'm scuffing up my doors pretty good when I'm not careful (obvious solution is to be more careful).

My thoughts: Landrovers and even 4runners have/can get a ladder off the tailgate that they can use to climb up on the roof. There are also steps you can attach onto a spare tire off the back if you've got one but I'm looking for access directly to the roof of the cab. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a drop down ladder coming down the passenger side either attaching to the door itself or else clamping onto a roof rack/rock sliders? I've got some ideas on how I want to do this but figure I'd see if anyone's got any leads/ideas before I go nuts and start fabricating something to suit my needs.

Thanks!

robert

Expedition Leader
There are pictures out there of vehicles with ladders attached to their roof racks, both permanently and clip on (Sportsmobiles quickly come to mind). I would not put one on the door as the hinges are not designed to support that much weight. Another option would be one of those telescopic ladders.

superbeef

I've found ONE picture on pinterest of a Mazda pickup with a ladder that was custom fabricated and bolted onto the running boards and the roof rack. It'll do the trick but was hoping there would be a pre-fabricated option. Good call on not putting it on the doors... wouldn't want to bust a hinge.

I've tried the stepping stool but I found myself often pulling over on the side of the road and jumping up on the roof to get a better line of sight. It'd be nice to get up there without needing to bring the step stool out. That being said, also toyed with the idea of having the ladder flip up and fold onto the rack as well...which would be the same as tying a step stool down up there. Also can't find a step stool tall enough...I'm short =(.

Yea I've seen a ton with sportsmobile, a custom fab'd one with a 1st gen 4runner, disco's, newer 4runners with custom rear bumpers and the sort. I might have to learn to weld...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12