Lamborghini Urus

haven

Expedition Leader
Not enough room in your Gallardo for those runs to Costco? Lamborghini has your back.

At the 2012 Beijing Auto Show, Lamborghini introduced a new SUV concept. The vehicle is called the Urus, named, like all Lambo cars, after a Spanish fighting bull.

urus-1.jpg

urus-2.jpg

The above photos are from Lamborghini. The gentleman in the photos is Stephan Winkelmann, chief executive officer of Lamborghini SpA. I chose photos of the car next to Winkelmann so you'd get a sense of the vehicle size -- it's definitely a large car, considerably larger than the Range Rover Evoque, for example. More like the full size Range Rover. The show car is reported to have a 600 hp engine and all wheel drive.

The Urus in the photos is a concept car, so there are many parts (24 inch rims, TV cameras as rear view mirrors, and so on) that won't make it to the production model. When introduced in 2015, Lamborghini expects the Urus will sell about 3000 units worldwide, thus becoming the most popular Lamborghini model. It wouldn't be the first time an SUV has saved a car company (Porsche, I'm looking at you).

Lamborghini is part of the Volkswagen empire these days, along with Audi, Porsche, and Bentley. It will be interesting to see how many corporate-standard parts will be used under the Urus's sleek exterior. Audi has a 5.5L V12 diesel, used in their Le Mans race cars. However, even a $200,000 SUV won't get an engine that exotic. I expect some sort of twin turbo V8 will be used. (Even a Mustang can produce 600 HP from a turbo V8).

I'm sure someone will get all huffy, and diss the Urus because it's not a Rubicon Trail rockhopper. Neither are 90% of the SUVs sold by other manufacturers. The Urus is a stylish way to transport four people to a ski chalet, or to drop off wealthy kids at their country day school. Even at $200K, I have no doubt the Urus will be a big success.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
It's built on Audi's Q platform with a Lamborghini modified Audi engine. similar to what they did with Gallardo engine.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

4xdog

Explorer
Looks like a Mazda to me.

Remember the Lamborghini LM 002? I parked next to one at the Columbus, Ohio airport in the late 80s. No idea what it was doing there...
Lambo_LM_002_1.jpg

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
3e0d632f.jpg

There's a beautifully restored LM002 in our area. It's one of the rare fuel injected ones.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Remember the Lamborghini LM 002? I parked next to one at the Columbus, Ohio airport in the late 80s. No idea what it was doing there...

If it was a silver one you saw in OH, I have seen it also, on I-75.

There was also one that lived in Dearborn, parked outside, next to a small apartment building. I remember getting sticker shock, just from hearing the price of one of the tires !

:Wow1:

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Mmm ... LM 002.

Ursus? Not sure yet. It's not hideous looking to me, but it just seems wrong. I don't want to be "that guy" who complains when an automaker takes a non-traditional route, but I dunno.

- Andy

haven

Expedition Leader
Lambo-urus.jpg

Lamborghini showed the Urus SUV concept at the recent Beijing auto show. The response was positive, and Lambo has announced that the Urus will appear in 2017. Lamborghini is owned by VW these days, so the Urus will share the SUV platform with Audi, Porsche and VW. No word on what powerplant will sit under the hood.

Price is expected to be north of $150K USD.

I knew a couple who owned Lamborghini's last SUV, the LM002, back in the 1990s. They were pleased with the LM002 for day to day driving.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I love the Lamborghini tractors, especially the R Series with the forward sloped nose, it reminds me of the fighters from Battlestar Galactica.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears