Lame Disco II build.

Busarider

My last build was an all out Jeep JK build. OME lift, winch bumper, lockers, roof rack, snorkel, etc. etc. etc. Basically, I got caught up reading the forums, and bought all the cool stuff. Then never used it.The bumpers and interior drawers made the JK ultra heavy. The 5000 lbs of jacks and lines and pulleys and tools and spare parts, resulted in a truck that pretty much sucked to drive. The fuel mileage sucked.The roof rack made it ridiculously top heavy. I got stuck once and four of my buddies scrambled for their winch lines. I used my winch once. Basically, it was too much heavy stuff, that I never used.

This time around its a 2003 Disco. Im assuming it was owned by an enthusiast at some point, but I scored it from a dealer friend. It's got 86k, head gaskets done, propshaft rebuilt, OME springs, mud tires..it's got a couple issues. It needs 3 lock actuators and it needs a tune up.

Here's the start of the lame build. I'm ditching the mud tires in favor of 235/85/16 Cooper AT3's. There will be no steel bumpers or winch. I think a factory brush bar is in order if I can find one...Pull out drawers and a sleep platform will be as crazy as this build gets.i want an awning and work lights but no roof rack. I have what I think is a garvin wilderness rack, and might cannibilize that for the lights etc.

I've been creeping the posts on here for a long while. Lots of good ideas......

spikemd

Explorer
I understand your desire for a scaled down build. These are already very heavy trucks. Rovers are capable trucks with mild mods and you only need monster builds for rock crawling. I do think sliders and some protection underneath is required, especially without much of a lift. One of the benefits of a mud terrain is stiffer sidewalls, more grip and less prone to puncture. I blew through 3 all terrain Bridgestone on mild trails before my Km2s, no issues since.

da10A

Adventurer
Went from built jeeps, to discovery 2, and back to jeeps with the more mature LandRover build mentality. I too was and still am overwhelmed buy all the gizmos people put on their jeeps. My jeep and all other members with similar builds had become unpleasant to drive. None would have ever admitted that, but all without an exception would admit it once the jeep is gone. You will love the LR community and the different mentality. But you will still spend a fortune, but towards maintenance rather than upgrade parts. Good luck.
e736d667f8e5ba109c3200524b88d1a7.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430777215766.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman