leaf spring friction

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
We have the teflon spring pads at work, and the springs we sell have the holes already in the leaf ends that the pads have a snap to locate into - but drilling onto spring steel is a tough job at best, so if you dont already have the holes it would be quite a job to do. Several years ago a friend and I tested the theroy of reducing the friction by also adding small shims between the leafs at the centerpin as well - this produced a nice, small gap along the entire length of the spring out to the pads at the end - it rode and flexed noticably smoother than the stock used leaf and eliminated all squeaks, and no grit could wear anything away like a tape style solution discussed earlier. The byproduct is the extra lift gained from the thickness of all the shims added to the pack making it thicker, which on a spring over vehicle raises the trucks overall height .

Josh

Adventurer
I've done the 5mil UHMW tape on my leaves. It was a lot of work and I don't have any illusions about it lasting once grit is introduced. That said, they really do ride nicer... much nicer! On rough roads my SIIA is a much smoother ride than any of our "modern" vehicles.

Kind regards, Josh

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
snippage......
- but drilling onto spring steel is a tough job at best, so if you dont already have the holes it would be quite a job to do.

A friend of mine stumbled onto what he says (I haven't had reason to try it) is the solution to drilling leaf spring leaves. A hammer drill. Was all that he had so he used it with the normal bit that you'd use in a hammer drill. He claimed that it went through the leaves like they were soft steel.
HTH

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've done my share of drilling, we used to do quite a few "spring flips" with FJ40 springs and we would re-drill the second leaf so that the military wrap stayed at the fixed end. In the end the best practice we found was the iron-workers punch. Sadly the went with the old owner and I've never found quite the need for the investment again.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Motorcyclechainlube. Jack up truck on frame, spray, done. But one got to do this pretty often.

I do this every three months or so. Hit the leaf packs with a pressure washer to get the grit out, and spray the crap out of em. I use Honda White Lithium Grease, works like a champ, and has so far maintained the pads that came on my leaf pack quite well.

Old thread, but wanted to add my two cents.

~ Stump

greasyfingers

Check out a graphite paint called EZ slide, It's often used on farm equipment. I plan on ordering some soon for my new lift springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179