Leafspring nightmare

DrMoab

Explorer
Have they turned at all? If you have started them to spin just go get a sawzall and cut them on both sides between the shackle and the spring and the same on the front hanger. Its always been the case with me that it's the bushing they seize too, not the nut. If you have turned them at all then after you cut the bolt it spins out easier (note, I did not say easy).

I will second the anti-seize though. Once you put it back together slather those babies up before your done.

Jeffb79

Observer
Get them out yet?
How about the rear shocks, did you remove those yet? If not, get ready for your 2nd head ache :eek:

Momrocks

Adventurer
I can't believe I missed this saga. I feel your pain pal. I had very good luck removing my hardware when I did my OME. I think it helped that 5 times per week for the 3 weeks between ordering and installation I PB'd everything. Where I had trouble was installing my quicker disconnects. That pin on the lower link played hell on me. I eventually cut it flush and ground it until I could punch it out. I still haven't pressurewashed the knuckle skin off my front end.

alosix

Expedition Leader
This tread makes me happy to have had a clean non rusty Xj. I did my full lift in under 6 hours.

The last XJ we did was the shop XJ. After getting annoyed with all of the ones in MD that had rusted together. We just cut everything off. Installed 2 trailing links from the TNT sliders, used some firestone airsprings, added a track bar and Nth degree stinger.

Now its a linky jeep the whole way around :)...

mc2az

Observer
Goin mobile!

Well it took much much longer than the 2 hours I originally figured. I have been in a major depression funk since I had to walk by my XJ each day this last month or so only to see her set there on jacks. I didn't even want to get on here and let you know how ashamed I was. All this time the bolts have been stuck in the bushings. I didn't have the heart (or $$) to take it to some one.

This weekend I was able to afford a torch outfit and...ATTTAAACKKK !!!

First I cut the springs off close to the shackle, then cut the spring eye off the bushing, then cut the outer bushing sleeve, knifed through the rubber, then cut the inner sleeve. Bingo...bolt slips right out, repeat X4. Only had to destroy one bolt ( it was up against the hitch frame, it was the only one freed up). Not that I plan to use the old corroded bolts anyway. Best part is the inner frame nuts are still intact.

Callin in sick today so I can go get some new bolts & antiseize and install the springs.
"These OME's better ride like a Caddilac"

Last edited:

lamontagne

Adventurer
I wish I'd have seen this sooner, I live very close to where you are, in El Mirage, AZ. I have all the tools needed and I've been there and done that with the XJ leaves. :smilies27

If you need help, just let me know!

mc2az

Observer
Thanks Lamontagne for the inspriration and offer. After all the trouble I had....I just had to finish it myself. My wife said it's one of those macho things, I think I just had to prove something to myself. Well, she's on the road. I ordered new bushing bolts last monday from Copper State bolt & nut. Came in Friday and had one side hung by 8:00 last night. It went back in like it jumped up there by itself. Other side this morning took just a little persuasion and sweat but not to much of a problem. Drove around town and a few dirt roads for a few hours today. An added plus which I had hoped for was the new balance in the steering. When I did the front it felt much lighter in the front, like it was floating slightly on the front axle. Now I get a much firmer feel on the steering wheel. Going to take the rear wheels off Sunday and re-torque everything again.
Thanks for listening to me whine and for cheering me on folks!

hugh

Observer
Real sorry I did not read this post earlier. I had the same trouble with my 98 XJ. Found the best way was to use a small cut wheel on an angle grinder and open up the part of the unibody where the captive nut for the leaf spring bolt was tacked on. Then my buddy and I could get a wrench on it. Once the springs were changed and the new bolts installed we used a hammer to close up the sheet metal and welded it shut. Your right it is a major pain, both sides took us about 4 hours. The rear shocks were a pain also. The nuts on the bar pins all broke off, at first I tried to drill them out but found a hammer and drift worked much better, just knock them out, the factory did not tack them in to well. Then we removed the rear track bar and threw it away but reused the brackets to make a set of bar pin eliminators which we mounted on the body. It was awkward but I was able to get a bolt through the holes and tighten the brkt up pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman