LED M-C Headlights????

JRhetts

Adventurer
I have a Yamaha WR250R that has an anemic OE alternator. It is just barely able to operate the lights and keep the battery charged. I know I could put a new alternator on, but ...

The headlight uses a 55/60 watt halogen bulb, which draws ~4.5 amps. I was wondering if anyone knows of an LED replacement for this light? That might save me several amps of continuous draw, and give me capacity to run a GPS and/or headlight flasher.

Any help?

John

alosix

Expedition Leader
Been hunting around since you got me wondering.

H4 bulbs don't seem to be there yet for LED power, plus they are bound to have reflector issues with a normal H4 housing.

I'd think your best bet for being able to see and dropping the power needed would be an HID setup.

Jason

robert

Expedition Leader
Uhm, the 250R is the newer fuel injected version is it not? I thought I read that it had a higher wattage output than most of the other 250s (I don't know much about the bike so forgive me if I'm wrong).

Switching to a HID light will free up 15watts but your reflector likely won't control the beam spread well. You can have the stator rewound but from what I've read the max you're going to get is around 200watts and most don't seem to last as long as an OEM unit. BajaDesigns offers this service, as do others, as well as a replacement light assembly with HIDs and LEDs- they're not street legal though.

If your state doesn't require you to run your headlight all the time you could put a switch on it and cut it off during the day. If I were going to do this, I'd add some LED lights up front for added visibility without the voltage drop.

ETA- ouch, a bit of Googling and it looks like you only have 100watts at idle to play with.

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
How about adding an aftermarket LED light and a switch to cancel the stock headlamp?

Here you can see mine mounted below the brace bracket:
led3.jpg

The Light does not offer lots of light , but I use it as filler lighting at night. During the daytime it can operate as my driving light to conserve power.

LEDon.jpg

JRhetts

Adventurer
How about adding an aftermarket LED light and a switch to cancel the stock headlamp?
Here you can see mine ...

What light is it? Where did you get it? Any specifications? How about a pic that shows the front of your bike a little better?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
M6006.jpg
spring2009.jpg

It was one of a pair of inexpensive LED driving lights that I had on the shelf. Under $20 IIRC.
There are getting to be more and more choices all the time.

BTW, my 130/90W H4 headlamp bulb draws 5-6 amps

low beam 90w only:
Lowon.jpg

LED + low beam 90W:
LEDlow.jpg

High beam 130W only:
high.jpg

LED + High beam 130W:
LEDhigh.jpg

Last edited:

Rbertalotto

Explorer
according to the manufacturer's website, the HID setup draws 8A

That's only at start up for about 5 seconds. Once they are lit they draw 13 watts. As opposed to other types of lights that draw 55-90 watts.

It's watts you need to be concerned about as that is what your alternator is outputting constantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman