Leica D-Lux 3: 2nd Camera and Trekking Solution

Scott Brady

Founder
quick update:

HD video is a nice feature. I would venture to say that this camera is an almost perfect Dual-Sport unit, as HD video and 10mp RAW in an ultra-small unit. I can fit the camera, card case and charger in a cargo pocket...

Some issues.

1. Don't even try shooting above 400 ISO. Noise is excessive.
2. Image quality is similar to my 20D with a Tamron lens, but nowhere near a 20D with L glass.
3. RAW does not work out of the box with Aperture. Fortunately there is a fix, which involves modifying Raw.plist and doing a .dmg conversion with Adobe DMG Converter. Then Aperture can work with the shots. A few more steps, but worth the effort.

What I really like

1. A compact camera with 90% of the image quality at 100 ISO of my DSLR
2. HD Video
3. Big LCD and logical menus
4. RAW image capability
5. A nice digital warming option that does a lot to help mid-day cool scenes
6. Solid construction (metal body)
7. 2.8 lens with a reasonable focal range 28-105 approx.
8. Portrait work and soft light images are actually impressive. Must be a Leica zen thing.

I like it enough for it to be the only camera I am bringing on my Alaska and Ohio trip (more fun than business type trip).

Scott Brady

Founder
Now that I have used and reviewed this camera for nearly a month now, I am quite happy with the choice and it has exceeded my expectations in all areas with the exception of noise at higher ISO.

I also wish there was a way to protect the lens glass.

I have purchased an 1120 Pelican case with foam to protect the unit and allow easy shipment to other Overland Journal staff that might need it.

leica_in_pelican.jpg

I still need to get an LCD display protector

Great little camera!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Do you miss having a viewfinder?

After using SLR's ever since I took up photography, I added a compact point and shoot for taking on the kayak (in pelican's smallest case). I too had to give up a viewfinder in order to get such a compact camera.

I miss the speed of simply composing and releasing the shutter.

I have always had the impression that that's what drew people to the Leica rangefinders in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears