Lets see your outside shower ideas

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I recently bought the Ecotemp L5 portable Propane Hot water shower that I plan on putting on the outside of my Off Road style trailer. I'm not sure if I should permanently affix it to the outside or if I should just make a mount to hang it on when using. I'd like to see how some of you have done your exterior showers on your teardrops. Specifically how you have plumbed for it and how and where you set it up. Pics are worth a thousand words. Lets see what you got and how you did it..

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I'm actually getting ready to build an Azec enclosure with a top that is aluminum that lifts up while running to allow the hot fumes to escape.

It will have a hinge in the bottom as well to accommodate the fittings/hookups on the bottom

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The really good setups never get photographed. Everytime I set ours up all the Woodland Nymphs appear in bikinis to take showers. The last thing your thinking about is finding a camera at that point.

What sucks is that your racing around getting more water because the show ends when the water runs out.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Many folks mount the eccotemp In a pelican case and permanently affix it to the trailer, of use a hanging mount for when it's in use. Plenty of examples of that on the Moby1 site and some of the other production trailer co.s.

wagex

Adventurer
i leave mine inside the trailer and just hang it on the side of the trailer when im using it, i have a small privacy tent ive used once usually im away from people enough i dont bother covering up.

11896166_10155929836120537_6357812792586372326_n.jpg

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
The really good setups never get photographed. Everytime I set ours up all the Woodland Nymphs appear in bikinis to take showers. The last thing your thinking about is finding a camera at that point.

What sucks is that your racing around getting more water because the show ends when the water runs out.

Where's the LIKE button? :)

Last edited:

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
This isn't the final solution for my trailer (haven't gotten to that yet...) but needed something for a beach camping trip a couple years ago. This went in the bed of the truck and was reachable from the side. Note the unit "hangs" on the edge of the drum holder. Long cord with cig lighter plug for power.

Drum 001.jpg
Heater 004.jpg
Shower 001.jpg

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Calicamper I don't think I'll have that issue. Haha. Great setups and it gives me a few ideas. I think I'll tru and figure out some attachment point on my trailer that I can just temp mount the L5 to when in use. The attachment point will be permanent though. Just need to figure how and where and what to use for the attachment point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Septu

Explorer
I like the roadshower. Unfortunately with no rack on my jeep and no space to really mount this on my trailer. The only thing I can think of is either mounting it to the top of the tent (no rack and not sure it would handle the 55 lbs of weight) or making a bracket to fit over the awning.

I don't have a water setup in the trailer yet (eventually).

IMG_7937-001.jpg

10492222_10152155815182595_1589456790569989974_n.jpg

Septu

Explorer
Calicamper I don't think I'll have that issue. Haha. Great setups and it gives me a few ideas. I think I'll tru and figure out some attachment point on my trailer that I can just temp mount the L5 to when in use. The attachment point will be permanent though. Just need to figure how and where and what to use for the attachment point.

Have a look at Greg's thread. He made a bracket to attach his heater off the rear of his trailer.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Way-too-Red-quot-Build-Thread-(finally)/page2

#112 shows the bracket and talks about it. #211 shows it all setup.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
I'm not at home on my computer where the pictures are, but I'll try and describe the set up I used for years.

I used some steel tubing that slid inside the crossbars of my Yakima roof rack, that I could extend out of the roof rack. They would be used to hold up a hula hoop that I had clipped two overlapping shower curtains to. I made a thin pallet type floor for the bottom of my roof rack basket that lifted out and set on the ground to become the shower floor.

At first I used those solar shower bags for hot water, but found my shower became real popular with the females in our camping group and heating enough water to keep up with demand became a problem. I found a solar bag would provide enough hot water for two people if they were conservative with the water. But the demand quickly got our of hand

So I ended up building a heat exchanger that tied into the trucks radiators circulating hot water. Used "T" fittings on the trucks heater hoses to circulate the engine coolant through the heat exchanger.

Ended up building a cold water mixer into the plumbing to keep from scalding the folks in the shower. All water was circulated out of a 5 gallon water bucket with a 12 volt water pump that was plugged into a trolling motor type electrical plug mounted into the back bumper. As long as the water held out it worked great. I soon found the best way to keep up with the demand was to require each person using the shower to bring their own water. Or make them fetch a 5 bucket full if they wanted a hot shower.

Ended up hanging a hook off the hula hoop tubing to hold their dry towels on the outside of the shower curtain. And a hanging soap dish thingy inside too.

The biggest drawback was the water puddle left around my truck camping area. I solved that by parking on a slope so water drained away from my truck during shower time.

The heat exchanger was nothing more than an empty propane can that I ran a coil of copper tubing through with 2 water fittings brazed to the propane can for the radiator water to circulate through the small propane can.. And two barbed fitting for the copper tubing. I cut the end off the propane can and drilled the holes for all the fittings, added the copper coil then brazed the end and fittings on the can.

It took up very little room under the hood and was mounted to the fender well with hose clamps and a simple bracket.

Never failed to work and was a great thing to have handy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior