Life expectancy of a 365 hp 3.5L V6

6ale

Got my eye on a relatively inexpensive 2103 F-150 with >200k miles on it. Anything I need to be aware of besides the timing chain? How much more life could I expect out of this engine at this high mileage?

Appreciate any advice,

v/r

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Got my eye on a relatively inexpensive 2103 F-150 with >200k miles on it. Anything I need to be aware of besides the timing chain? How much more life could I expect out of this engine at this high mileage?

Appreciate any advice,

v/r
Welcome visitor from the future. How are things in 2103? Glad to see there are still gas powered pickup trucks, lol

Anyhow is the truck a naturally aspirated 3.5 V6 or an Ecoboost? Can't recall what years had a 3.5 non EcoBoost V6.

Maybe see if you can have a compression check done on the engine?

At that mileage at big factor will be how the truck was used and maintained.

ITTOG

Given it is over 200k miles I will assume not an ecoboost. Some have made it over that threshold, some by a large amount, but I wouldn't say that is the norm. At least that is not my experience.

Moyshe Kapoyer

Appreciate any advice,

v/r
I put 240k on my 2015 3.5 and the only issue was a timing chain/phaser replacement covered under the extended warranty.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I have a 2016 Ecoboost 3.5, bought it new so 8 years old now. It has been flawless. All I do is change oil/filters and rotate the tires.

ale

Welcome visitor from the future. How are things in 2103? Glad to see there are still gas powered pickup trucks, lol

Anyhow is the truck a naturally aspirated 3.5 V6 or an Ecoboost? Can't recall what years had a 3.5 non EcoBoost V6.

Maybe see if you can have a compression check done on the engine?

At that mileage at big factor will be how the truck was used and maintained.
Hahah i should have clarified - im from 2103 BC….

But yeah its a *2013 ecoboost w/212k miles. 3 owners, but looks really clean.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hahah i should have clarified - im from 2103 BC….

But yeah its a *2013 ecoboost w/212k miles. 3 owners, but looks really clean.
It's a lot of miles for a vehicle. But, have a thorough inspection (including compression test) done and then you can decide if it's a good deal.

I think the real issue here is practical reliability out in the wild. Yes, you can continue on, but statistically you are approaching a practical end of life. In other words, if it was a truck to get you back and forth to work, and say home depot, then no issue. However, breaking down in the boonies can cost a fortune. Heck, if the engine went, I would just call LKQ and have them get me a low mileage 3.5. Just checked. A 3.5 with 78k is about $5k.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Welcome Gale! It would be helpful to know where the truck has lived it's life...

Here in the dry, arid southwest, mileage and age are of less consequence than they are in more humid places... I have had several trucks with more than 200k on them that were in great condition mechanically and looked good too. My own K2500 has 320k on it at present and I expect to keep it basically forever. My plow truck is a totally rust free '93 K2500 suburban that's running strong at 170k. I just found a nice Dakota for my dad that had 250k on it and it's also doing well, though it will eventually die as he lives in Michigan...

In general, if an engine (and transmission) has made it that far, it's probably had fairly thorough maintenance. If the 3.5L Ecoboost uses cam phasers, it would be good to know when they were last replaced, as that is a very common thing but may be later engines only... It is pretty expensive to have that work done...

The rest of the truck should be fine if it's from a dry environment. My opinion would be that an easy life, good maintenance, and just a tiny bit of luck in not getting bad parts should keep any truck running toward the 500k mark if it's not in the rustbelt. Sure, you're going to replace some things like tires, shocks, wheel bearings, seat covers, but the cost of replacing those things pales in comparison to a payment on a newer truck... If you can do your own maintenance for those sort of things, all the better. Low mileage engines for 11 year old trucks are hard to come by here in the SW, but they're a bit more common in the midwest, where rust took out the truck before it got to 200k miles...

If it's from a place that has more humidity, all bets are off... The engine and driveline may be sound, but wiring, frame integrity, and body structure begin to come into play as major issues that routine maintenance has no ability to overcome...
Good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior