Lift/tire options for 99 k1500 burb?

gotme1

Observer
I just purchased a 99 gmc suburban k1500 and wanted some input on what lift I should go with? I also will be running 18x9 wheels and need tire size. This will be my family travel/expedition vehicle. Thanks

82fb

Adventurer
Lots more info needed from you... What type of offroading do you want to do? Are you willing to spend the money to re-gear? Is mpg important to you?

gotme1

Observer
I'm using this vehicle for travel/camping purpose for family. I don't plan on doing any mudding or rock climbing. We will probably see some mild trails. Expense.... I don't want to sink a ton of money into lift. I would rather spend the money to be mechanically ready.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I wouldn't lift it then, just build up what it is there and beef up the ifs. Run the tallest tire that will fit.

brushogger

Explorer
I wouldn't lift it then, just build up what it is there and beef up the ifs. Run the tallest tire that will fit.
This x2. Get the suspension (bushings, idler arm, etc.) in good order and buy a good quality set of shocks. You will be happy. Mine went 250k miles like this with no issues. Chevy 1//2 ton IFS doesn't like wheels with any offset other than stock. It will cause problems with hub bearings and front end in the long run. If you travel in remote areas and have the push button transfer case, learn how to pull the shift motor and manually engage it with a wrench or carry a spare shift motor assembly and switch. Both are easy to change, but will leave you in 2wd if they go out. Before going out, clean the underside good and learn the bolt locations for the shift motor assembly. They could be hard to see if it was covered with mud. I bought these spares at a salvage yard for $95. They take up little space.

gotme1

Observer
Awsome that's what I was thinking. I will probably just put body lift. I do have push button transfer case and will go to jy to pick up spare. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears