Lightest 36 inch A/T Tires For 18 inch Rim?

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

I am looking for some lighter 36 inch A/T Tires (11.5-12.5 width) for an 18 inch rim and hoping someone here has a link they can point to.
Currently running Nitto A/Ts 34's at 50lbs a skin, and am familiar with the pains of going taller just want to avoid a massive rolling resistance hit.

I'd prefer "true" 36s though if it goes a bit taller/shorter that will be fine.

Vehicle has already been geared lower/I don't rock crawl or do really heavy stuff, so a thinner sidewall will be fine.
Truck is not overweight, so lighter weight tire ratings will be fine also.

Thank you for your consideration,

-WWD

rruff

Explorer
Weight has nothing to do with rolling resistance. It has almost no effect on acceleration either (for typical wheel+tire differences). It's a shame that no one tests rolling resistance for truck tires, but I think a decent proxy for similar tires is the speed rating (higher is better), since the limiting factor on that is temperature and heat.

36" is rare. 37s are 36.5" typically, so if a true 36 is what you are after look at 37s.

I'd look at either the Nitto Recon or Falken Wildpeak in 37x12.5r18. Both are E load and R speed rated.

Noticed the Falkens were pretty cheap on Amazon for $378.

tacollie

Glamper
Some tires run small. My buddy has 37x12.50r17 BFG KO2s on his Jeep. They were closer to 35". A lot of 37x12.50s are closer to 36". I'm considering the Toyo at3 37x12.5r18 for that exact reason. It's also one of the few that is listed to fit an 8" rim.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Search continues.
All I can find is E-load 36-37x12.5 x 18 and would prefer a lighter load range possible.
My rims are 18 inches so not going to 17 (where I know more options are).
Truck is a 6000 pound SUV empty, 7000 pounds fully loaded, no trailer, no rock crawling.

rruff

Explorer
If you are sticking with 18, then I don't see anything better than what I already listed. If you went to 17, then BFG makes a tire that is listed at 63 lbs. It's the only one I've seen that is <70 lbs. https://tiresize.com/tires/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain-TA-KO2-37X12.50R17.htm

Note that a lower load range doesn't necessarily mean what you think. A C could be the exact same tire as an E, only with the pressure and load rating dropped. If a tire is lightweight for its size but still has thick tread, that's usually a good indication of it being less durable. You can check the sidewall plies also.

If you used a ~35" tire, the Wrangler Territory (which has 2 ply sidewalls, most are 3) in 325/65r18 is the lightest duty 18" I know of. They weigh 62 lbs and are T speed rated. I'd bet these have the lowest rolling resistance of any similar AT... unless you got 17" rims and bought the 315/70r17s which only weigh 52 lbs. Note that their photo for the 325/65r18 is wrong, in that size the AT tread is identical to the MT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior