Little Guy Teardrop Modifications

patl

Adventurer
Since there has been a lot of new postings about off road teardrops, I thought I would share the improvements made to the trailer we just acquired recently. The previous owner had already upgraded with the Timbren ASRKHDS03 axles which from what I can understand provides a 2000 lb spring rating with the 3500 lb spindle, and includes the advantage of a 4" lift. 10" brakes were also added at this time. Since PO was towing with a 4 door Jeep, he had installed Walker Evans beadlocks with 33" BFG AT's which allowed him to use the vehicle spare as backup, as the same setup was on the Jeep. A little overkill for my needs, which also required me to source a spare and build a mount for it. At the same time I decided to enclose the factory platform on the tounge with mesh so my Orca chest and generator could be securely locked. Changes in the tongue allowed for options for towing setups. Can now use Lock and Load, 2" ball, etc. as desired.

colors 010.JPG

As it arrived.

Teardrop mods 002.JPG

Basket and spare tire Mount.

Teardrop mods 001.JPG

Tongue with receiver.

PO had also added top rack with Yakima basket, an ARB awning on each side which allows for enclosed walls with floor on one side and enclosed walls on the other if needed. Provides many options for overnight or extended stay situations.
Next on the list is changes in the galley area, since this version of the Little Guy does not have the nicer built in or slide out features of the more expensive teardrops. There is a fixed shelf which does not allow access to the available space underneath, which could be utilized for storage of kitchen equipment. Will probably tour the factory in Ohio after the holidays so I can get some idea of what can be done to build a hinged lid to allow use of this space, as well as some additional shelving for more storage.
Will also add a mount for a 10lb propane bottle to drivers rear side, and possibly move the house battery to the tongue. It never ends.

I am doing something similar.

Sir,
You may have noticed that I am doing something similar to my Little Guy Rough Rider. You can find my thread here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152282-Little-Guy-Teardrop-Rough-Rider-Build

Feel Free to contact me with any questions. I would like to know the handling characteristics of your trailer. And I will be sure to keep checking in on your addiction, as it progresses.

Take Care,

Robert Knasel
Triad Holsters LLC
Mind. Body. Weapon
www.triadholsters.com
(937) 605-2578

patl

Adventurer
Yes, I saw your post which has some great ideas. As far as towing , the only info I can share is the trip back from West Memphis where I met the PO to pick up the trailer. Towed home all the way across Tenn. at 70-75 with a 2wd T100 V6, and had no problems. Was concerned about climbing over the plateau, but only kicked down into 3rd gear a couple of times. No noticeable bounce like spring axle. Was smooth all the way. This was without the added tongue weight, was hasn't been a problem towing locally.

So far have not been off road, as plans are hopefully to make some of the Bronco 50 year anniversary celebrations this Spring around the country. Will do a shakedown cruise in January to Key West if every thing goes well.

Only other thing I might change is the fenders. Even though the axles were moved back a little to allow the fenders to be raised, they are not long enough to completely clear a bigger tire, and would be better shaped like Scott B's fenders pictured on your post. Reshaping would probably fix the problem.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Come by and see us this weekend: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152364-New-Year-s-Camping
Tennmogger is coming from your area (Greenback).

This is my 6x10 SilverShadow/RoughRider. Will turn 5 years old soon and is still eager to be towed.

Raodtrip%202015%201126_zpsb91he188.jpg

patl

Adventurer
Hey Hilldweller-
Thanks for the invite. Probably can't make it to camp this weekend, but would like to stay in touch for future trips. May come down for a short time just to meet you guys and check out your trailers Saturday, if that's OK.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hey Hilldweller-
Thanks for the invite. Probably can't make it to camp this weekend, but would like to stay in touch for future trips. May come down for a short time just to meet you guys and check out your trailers Saturday, if that's OK.
Sure; swing by.
We'll probably be the only teardrop on this trip.
Rory has one that's just a street LG (for now) and Scott B has a 5x9 Silver Shadow Roughrider that's very slick. It's pretty cool when we line them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears