LL Bean Boots

Singbush

Observer
Anyone have any experience with the classic "Bean Boots"? The 10" Bison Uninsulated specifically caught my eye.

I live in Georgia so no crazy snowy winters. Lots of cold rain with the occasional snow/ice storm. Plus, if needed I noticed you can purchase the Gortex liner.

Thanks in advance
Mike

camper357

Observer
LL Bean boots

I've had 3-4 pairs of the classic boots over the year. We use to wear them hunting before gore-tex became widely available in full leather hunting boots. I still have a pair in the garage that I bought on clearance probably 15 years ago, that I use for outside chores in suburbia. The classic style lacks ankle support and traction. I would not recommend them unless you will be wearing them for short periods of time in damp conditions. I'm not familiar with the Bison boots, they look like they have a heel and a shank. I would recommend either a pair or true rubber boots, or a goretex full leather boot, as the classic bean boot is 100 year old technology.

clarkarcher

Bean boots

I work with guys who wear them all day long, I work in construction, and swear buy them. There are two different kinds there is is hunting shoe and the bean boot. The shoe is designed for hunting , the sole is more "pliable", you can feel more and therefore make less noise. The boot is stiffer and more of a harder sole. Both are a single layer of leather upper with a rubber bottom. I am from maine so they are kind of a staple herd, most people have a pair in the closet.

I guess it is all in what you plan to do with them. I like them but if I were going to own only one pair of boots they may not be the answer.

refried

Adventurer
My Gore-Tex insulated hunting shoes are probably 25 years old and about to go in for their second set of soles (they will replace the lower rubber portion and make any repairs for a small fee), I've tried imitations but none have been able to hold up as well or as long as genuine Bean Boots. The Soles will wear fast if you plan on wearing them on pavement, but they'll last for years if your just wearing them around the yard or on muddy trails. My feet have never gotten wet wearing them and the Gore-Tex lining keeps my feet from feeling damp (a problem with rubber boots) even wearing them all day. Other than the uppers being bison hide instead of cowhide I don't think there is any difference in the boots, well there is that cool red sole that all the ladies just have to have now.

Last edited:

Repo503

Adventurer
I wear bean boots for chores around the property in the rain, and early season gardening. Keep my feet dry and they have pretty good traction on slick mud. Im also not someone who requires much ankle support though. For hiking I wear a 6 inch leather boot but leave the last 4 eyelets loose.

clarkarcher

I have hiking boots to hike in and rubber insulated boots for working in snow. If i were to get a pair i would go with the hunting shoe, because it is a good in between boot. If i didn't own the other boots I guess it would depend on what I was going to do. I wouldn't recommend them as a hiking boot because of support, but they would be fine if you were going down a beaten path.

You need to decide what you want the boot to do, it will do alot good, but may not do what you want great.

Singbush

Observer
Primary use will be for work. I work outside about 50% regardless of condition. That being said, its almost always on pavement. Occasional trail/camp use (read rare at best). I know what I need them to do just not sure if they're best suited for my needs.

Thanks
Mike

refried

Adventurer
If your going to wear them on pavement most of the time I don't think they are right boots, mine see very little pavement and last for years, as soon as I start wearing them in the village I start to see wear on the soles. The soft rubber is great in mud and wet rocks but not made for city life.
I never cared about ankle support when wearing them, I leave them loose and just slip them on, much easier when you have to take your shoes off every time you come in the house.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
My Uncle was a hunting and fishing guide and ran cutting crews in the woods of Washington Co., Maine from the '30's until the '80's. He always wore Bean boots. He had several pairs so the one was always being rebuilt at LL Bean's.

beardus supremous

Adventurer
I am a huge fan of LL Bean and the quality of their products. Not to mention if you are not satisfied or have a problem, the product can be returned no questions asked. I stand on concrete all day long and wear a set of LL Bean moc toe boots. I do not see them on the website, but they are amazing; I have been wearing the same pair for over a year now. For hiking i just bought a set of gore tex cresta hikers and summer time i wear their boat shoes. I highly recommend LL Bean, no matter what you get.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Bean Boots

I have been wearing there leather topped Maine Hunting Boot in various heights for many years, (40+) for everything from washing trucks to hunting Ruffed Grouse here in up-state NY, been thru more than few pairs. You won't regret having them, not for pavement tho, and best in spring, late summer and into early snow with the right sock combination :) mjmcdowell

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Still wearing the same pair that I bought 40 years ago. Though like grandpa's ax... Still the same uppers, but the foot has been replaced a couple of times. Great boots.

SkiMtb

Maybe it's me...but I freeze in em, all year long.

Sweat in that rubber...freeze all the way home.

Still lov & support L.L. Bean for many years !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior