Long bed tray on Short bed chassis - FWC Hawk flat bed balance point?

sdsailor

Camper: FWC flatbed hawk
Truck: Ram 2500 Crew Cab Short bed diesel

I'd like to mount a long bed tray on a short bed truck and allow room for storage behind the cab similar to this:

1612632859578.png

Am I setting myself up for big handling problems?

I know much of the Hawk weight is forward - does anyone know where the balance point is?

Thanks - Dan

billiebob

Also, check out the Manufacturers SPEC for your build.
They always spell out EXACTLY what can be done to avoid this....

nintchdbpict000299482002.jpg

Altho thankfully you are starting with a 2500 series frame. Still check the spec.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Id worry more about the attachment of the bed to the chassis than weight.
To do it right, you really should extend the chassis to accommodate the new location of the bed.

I did something similar to our truck, extended it a full 24" to allow for the 24" cross body box while maintaining an 8' bed
The wheelbase was not changed, the extensions were added to the rear of the chassis.

48514192616_89073e4fb1_b.jpg

51432315759_e77bb5a539_b.jpg

Bella PSD

Explorer
Camper: FWC flatbed hawk
Truck: Ram 2500 Crew Cab Short bed diesel

I'd like to mount a long bed tray on a short bed truck and allow room for storage behind the cab similar to this:

View attachment 741955

Am I setting myself up for big handling problems?

I know much of the Hawk weight is forward - does anyone know where the balance point is?

Thanks - Dan

Long bed on a short bed truck is about the same as a short bed with the tailgate down and installing a long bed camper. It's done all the time. I am in the process of installing an 8'3" aluminum flatbed on my short bed Superduty Ford. Then install the Hawk (slide in) to the back with 16" storage up front for the heavy stuff like spare tire. Now I will be moving the water tank, fridge and anything heavy lower and toward the front of the camper when I change up the interior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior