Looking at a DII, What can you tell me?

M

MuddyOval

There aren't really any more 'disabling' components in the DII, compared to the DI. They need fuel pumps and ECU's for the injection and ignition. The DII has a lot more electrical 'stuff' but it's not the type of stuff that disables the vehicle in case of an error.
I take a hand held scanner with me that can access ABS and the Rover proprietary stuff as well as OBDII and I really don't worry about anything.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Absolutely! I'd be much happier to take a vehicle full of electronics into the bush if I had the tools to diagnose any problems, and bypass those that are not physically disabling.

It's amazing what you can do with fuel injection when you know how it works, and even more when you have control over it. There are very few sensors which are absolutely mandatory to run fuel injection. Well, really only the crank position sensor. Everything else you can work around.

I had two cases with my modified turbo car. Once I blew a turbo charge pipe off, and couldn't repair it on the side of the road. At that time, I was running the factory computer which was mass air, and the turbo was drawing through the MAF sensor. Result was the turbo was sucking a lot of air, but just venting it to atmosphere, leading to massive richness. Solution was simply to unplug the MAF. The computer resorted to a limp home mode, using the throttle position sensor and O2 sensor to best guess at the fuel mixture. The Ford systems at least are extremely adaptable.

Another time I was running with my stand alone ECU, and had a mechanical failure of the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (was a Speed Density system, not Mass Air, so no more MAF sensor). The system had no O2 feedback, but did have an O2 gauge. I simply disabled the MAP, set the fuel injectors to stay at one pulsewidth, and actually drove basing my throttle position on the A/F I saw on the gauge. That one was fun.

If/when this Rover engine ever needs replacing, I'll either convert to diesel, or swap for something else (SBC?) with a programmable ECU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman