Looking for a good tent trailer

BigBC

Hi guys, i have been reading on this forum for the last 2 hours and checking out a lot of the trailers and rigs you guys have built and a lot of them are just awesome. I havent found much info on what I am looking for so i figured i would post it and see what you experts think would suit me best. I am looking for a tent trailer i can tow behind my F150 4x4. The things i want are a heater, hot water, toilet, fridge, and the ability to put my 12 foot aluminum boat on a rack on top of the trailer. I do a lot of fishing in BC and some of the roads can get pretty rough so i would like something that is tough and can take the rough roads. My buddy has a fleetwood evolution trailer and I like it except with the extra deck off the front it is too long which is also limiting as to where you can go. I would like queen size beds or at least double beds on both ends and dont really want to spend the money for a brand new fleetwood. I was thinking is there an older model trailer you guys can think of that fits my description that could be modified to take the rough roads. I am willing to do the work myself and was thinking If there is an older model known for dependability that could just use some modifying for rough roads that would be ok and i could save myself some money. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You should look at the Jayco and Starcraft off-road models. Both offered packages similar to the Evolution, but some of the models don't have a front deck.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
In order to get an inside toilet you have to get one of the larger units with the deck. The toilets were not available on the smaller trailers. Annoyingly, none of the manufacturers sell trailers without the deck any more.

I'm researching the same thing. This is my current short list of smaller trailers without a deck:

Coleman (Fleetwood) Cobalt
Starcraft 10RT
Jayco 10Z (has a small deck - tolerable)

IIRC Palomino/Real-Lite is a rebadged variant of the Jayco. I don't have the model number handy.

BigBC

What about buying an older one and lifting it up a bit with a bigger axle and bigger tires? I am worried about the way the older ones were constructed if i do the work to raise it up and get it where i want it is the bouncing and rattling going to destroy the thing? Tough decision the search continues!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well, lifting it up and putting bigger tires is essentially what they've done with these things. The interiors are exactly the same as the regular models. I almost bought one, but this was the killer for me. They're all made from particle board junk.

They're *capable* of going on rough roads because of ground clearance, but it's still hard on them.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Actually, the ruggedized versions have a stronger frame. I didn't put a tape measure on it at the RV show but the Real-Lite appeared to be constructed of 2x6 steel beam. It also had at least 4 or 5 beams running longitudinally if my mind's eye isn't playing tricks.

The old non-ruggedized trailers will not be this "over built".

Depending on what your plans are, maybe building an internal age inside the box to add torsional rigidity makes sense. This is what I was toying with when I was planing on ruggedizing one of my old trailers.

hoist00

Observer
I would just look for an older one that fits your needs and then beef up the frame and suspension. I think it would be a bit cheaper than buying a newer one that is built for offroading.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I almost bought one, but this was the killer for me. They're all made from particle board junk.

Our 1999 Starcraft Meteor lack particle board, it is made from plywood. The trouble is, it is all stapled together, so it is coming apart anyway. I have been slowly reinforcing the parts that are coming apart. I think a lot of that is to do with the ride - the torflex axle is way too stiff for it, so it spends a lot of time in the air on dirt roads, unless you slow to 5 mph.

We are looking for a Starcraft 10RT. The Jayco 10Z's little deck makes the trailer 5 feet longer.

4x4junky

Off Road Trailers

The Starcraft 10RT is the way to go if you want a decent offroad trailer, but dont want to modify an existing one. The 10RT is kinda heavy for true offroading at around 2000 lbs, but the heavier frame can take more abuse. It is has full lengths beds, but the trailer is 7'-2" wide which can be tough on tight trails. I pull a trailer behind a lifted Jeep Rubicon on some EXTREME trails here in Colorado, so I went with a lighter, narrower Fleetwood Cobalt. You pay for small and light with beds only 6 ft long and minimal room, but that is what I was after. I added about 6" of lift and changed out the 20" tires for 28" ones. I you are thinking of modifying a trailer, the independent suspension of the Adventure Trailer (AT) is the creme de la creme. It eliminates the center section of the axle by using control arms for each wheel for true off road clearance. My Jeep has gotten bigger so the trailer will be getting a couple more inches of lift and 30" tires this winter. It's a lot of work to switch out the things you dont think about like leveling jacks, tongue jacks and stairs, but is was worth it to have a 1200 lb Extreme trailer you can take anywhere. The problem with most small popup trailers is the cheep materials used for the interior. Been beating mine up on the toughest trails in Colorado and Utah for two years now and it has held up so far. I may eventually gut the interior of mine and rebuild it with metal, plywood and screws. The link below also shows my buddy's Fleetwood Neon that is super small, but super offroad as well!

http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/4x4Junky/Jeep/

Jeep6.jpg

Last edited:

Runt

Adventurer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman