looking for a simple set up

I am looking for a simple set up for my new jeep I want an Ipad with wifi and GPS I download Gaiai On x and trails off the road. I will probably get one with 512G I want ocover all the western states to some degree.
What iPad do you recommend? In the past, i made the mistake of not getting one that had cell coverage and had to add a GPS antenna. That seemed to work very well but when we moved that iPad "disappeared" Is running an external GPS better than running an iPad with an internal GPS antenna?

also is there a preferred IPad? I can find used ones for a bit less. But it needs to have at least 2 inputs one for power and 1 for the GPS antenna if I go that way.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Have you considered ditching the iPad and just updating the head unit with a 9” or 10” screen? Then you can either run Gaia directly on those Android based head units (with a gps smart card) or use CarPlay and run the mapping software off your phone.

I recently installed a Joying 9” floating screen and it was pretty sweet, except the wireless CarPlay was inconsistent. I switched again recently to a Stinger High10 unit and that seems quite solid, but it was twice the price. If you want, I’ll sell the Joying and the PAC-Audio harness that plugs into a JK wiring loom for cheap. I paid $600 all up, I’ll sell it for $100. It has a volume knob, 8GB of RAM, and 128GB of onboard memory. It comes with two 4G antenna's, a GPS antenna, external mic, etc.... I mounted all my antennas under the plastic dash and it was nice and clean.

1703973591445.jpeg
1703973562632.jpeg

Stereo Upgrade - 1 of 1.jpeg

Last edited:
The new jeep will have their bigger screen 12.4 inch i think BUT on the iphone 15 i seem to loose cellar coverage and hence GPS within a very short distance of Civilization. I used an iPad set previously was very happy with it.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I'm confused. :)
I run a cheap 10" ipad strictly for maps and navigation in Oz. It has a built-in GPS and has no need of cell coverage. I store multiple maps of the whole of Oz on a 32gb SD card.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
EDITP1060755e.jpgP1060756e.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The new jeep will have their bigger screen 12.4 inch i think BUT on the iphone 15 i seem to loose cellar coverage and hence GPS within a very short distance of Civilization. I used an iPad set previously was very happy with it.
GPS on the iPhone is independent of the cell coverage. The phone has GPS chips built in which always work (assuming clear sky above), regardless of cell coverage. I navigate all over Mojave Desert this way. I am not sure about the iPad. I know the version with cell service has GPS included, but I don't know about the wifi only versions. But running an independent antenna puck is no big deal.

pluton

Adventurer
I'm confused. :)
I run a cheap 10" ipad strictly for maps and navigation in Oz. It has a built-in GPS and has no need of cell coverage. I store multiple maps of the whole of Oz on a 32gb SD card.
If it has an SD card in it and receives GPS, but is not capable of cellular data, it's not an iPad. Maybe it's some flavor of Android tablet.
Just so everyone can be on the same page, Apple bundles GPS capability ONLY with iPads equipped with cellular. WiFi only iPads are SOL as far as receiving GPS. It's an Apple thing.
The cellular-equipped iPads work great for GPS map display with no need for cell service to use the GPS function in concert with stored maps/map apps.

pluton

Adventurer
also is there a preferred IPad? I can find used ones for a bit less. But it needs to have at least 2 inputs one for power and 1 for the GPS antenna if I go that way.
I got an iPad Mini (Cellular + WiFi) and am glad I'm not using a full size iPad. I got the biggest memory size they had at the time: 256GB. If they had 512GB I would have bought that. But 256GB holds an boatload of Gaia maps so I think 256GB would be OK.

highwest

All iPads with Cell + WiFi have a GPS chip and don’t require you to have cellular service to utilize the GPS features.

iPads with WiFi only don’t have GPS chips but they can connect to GPS pucks (like Dual, Hummingbird, etc.) via Bluetooth.

My first foray into this kind of navigation tool was a used iPad Mini 32GB with Cell + WiFi and didn’t pay for cell service for many years, it worked great. I recently bought a new iPad Mini for the same purpose, but I only keep ~25GB of maps (Avenza), so I bought a 64GB.

Ralph_Fonz

I've used the Ram mount seat based mount for years now. Its been great. having a radio cover kinda gets in the way, vs upgrading the stock radio for quick navigation and putting my tablet away for theft. > this version needs to be zip tied or mounted to something halfway. But great because both driver and passenger can manipulate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior