Looking for comments on BFG MT KM2 and GY Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar

hill1066

I have an 02 2500 Suburban with 285/75/16 Firestone MTs on it. I am looking for people who have experience with the BFG MT KM2 or the GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar tires. Specifically, make and model of vehicle, size of tires, how long have you had them, either miles or months/yrs, type of driving, street/highway, mud, rocks, snow, sand, etc., would you buy them again why or why not? Please be as factual as possible and I am looking for first hand knowledge.
Thank you.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I've had a set of KM-2's on my FJ Cruiser for about 20,000 miles (also have them on my trailer).

The vehicle is my DD, so the mix is probably something like 85% street/15% dirt. My dirt use is a mix of desert & mountain trails, and generally nothing very extreme. A few rocks thrown in here and there, but serious rock crawling isn't on my agenda.

I'm quite happy with these tires. They are reasonable on the street for the way I drive the vehicle (it's not a sports car, so I don't drive it that way). Noise level on the street when new was not a problem at all. Now that they are about at 1/2 tread life I've noticed that they are a little more noisy then when they were new, but still not really objectionable. I've had them in some wet/muddy/sloppy conditions a few times, and they have performed well there. They also do well in loose and sandy conditions. Overall, I'm very happy with them and will probably replace them with the same tire unless something new comes along that attracts my attention.

Hawkz

Adventurer
I have a set of 35x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MTR W/ Kevlar on my 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I built the Jeep mostly for trails around the midwest. We have a ton of mud, but not a lot of rocks, so that's what I built it for... The Jeep is a little heavier than stock with the bumpers and winch, ect, but still much lighter than your suburban.

I only have about 12,000 miles on mine. I am very happy with them so far. You can hear them on the road, but they aren't horrible. They are awesome in the mud and sand, which is why I bought them. The tires do OK on wet pavement. I have not used them in the snow... I'm a big fan of rotating mud tires every 5,000 miles. They seem to last longer and wear more even...

I have the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab. (Which probably weighs closer to what your suburban does.) I have been very happy with them. I have about 20,000 miles on these and no complaints. This truck is my DD and sticks to the roads 95% of the time...

FellowTraveler

Explorer
MT/R & Silent Armor

I've run MT/R 50% on pavement wears fast on pavement, mixed % off-road sand good, mud good, rocks good and through woods no roads. The suburban front suspension requires polyurethane bushings and good shocks to keep tire planted to road surface. The 285/75/16 e rated at 3,750 lb is a nice addition provided you have wheels that have this rating too. Best wear came at 45psi front 55 psi rear. Lasted 20k to 30k 2 sets so far.

No BF Goodrich tire experience! Looking at BFG's MT KF2 in 255/85/16 e

Silent armor has given me the best overall performance under all conditions and most miles of service. However, they are the only tires I've ever gotten flats with one puncture at sidewall near tread new tire just followed Good Years recommended radial sidewall patch repair "now spare only", next was a large section of metal bracket which cut a 4" gap in tread area not repairable. Best at 45 psi front and 55 psi rear. Lasted 40k to 55k 3 sets so far.

Last edited:

munepit

I have a set of 35x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MTR W/ Kevlar on my 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I built the Jeep mostly for trails around the midwest. We have a ton of mud, but not a lot of rocks, so that's what I built it for... The Jeep is a little heavier than stock with the bumpers and winch, ect, but still much lighter than your suburban.

I only have about 12,000 miles on mine. I am very happy with them so far. You can hear them on the road, but they aren't horrible. They are awesome in the mud and sand, which is why I bought them. The tires do OK on wet pavement. I have not used them in the snow... I'm a big fan of rotating mud tires every 5,000 miles. They seem to last longer and wear more even...

Im goint to get the 42x14.50R-17. I need 5 also. Going to be a lot on money at $553 a piece. Cant wait!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman