Looking for hard shell tent that opens and overhangs to left (US driver's) side

potfish

Situation: planning to buy an Off Grid Expedition 2.0 and will have a 270 degree awning on the right covering the galley and the rear. The left side has a box containing the water heater and optional furnace that look like they will interfere with the ladder on a pop up box or wedge shaped tent where the ladder attaches to a point aligned with the side of the vehicle so I'm looking for a tent with an overhang. That way also we can hang an annex room from it, which is a "strong want".

iKamper Skycamp looks like it would be perfect, but it only opens to the passenger side. "At this time, we don’t manufacture any tents that open on the left side. Please note that mounting your Skycamp or X-Cover backwards to open on the left side is not something we recommend." (iKamper FAQ)
RoofNest Condor also opens to the passenger side but "the Condor can theoretically be mounted in reverse to get the opening on the driver's side." (RoofNest support)
Tuff Stuff Alpha II "The ALPHA™ tent is designed to open to the passenger side ONLY " (Alpha II page)

Reversing the tent looks like a bad idea anyway as the hard shells are shaped for aerodynamics.

I thought about changing to a 180 awning on the right side and opening up the options to include tents with access from the rear of the trailer, but I don't want to have to keep moving the ladder to access the rear storage, and it definitely prevents the idea of an annex room.

Does anyone know a hard shell tent that can open and overhang to the left side, or is my only option a soft shell tent? (e.g. 23zero Walkabout 62 or many others)

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
I think the freespirit hard shells are flat and can be rotated to open towards either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potfish

You are right, I hadn't seen that one. The Odyssey series page even has photos showing it in either orientation, but it doesn't fold out to overhang the side of the trailer so I'd probably still have the same ladder interference problem.

JackW

Explorer
Terrapod wedge tents can be entered from either side or the back, plus they are lighter and lower profile than any roof tent that I am aware of. My Terrapod Solo weighs 85 lbs and is just over 5" tall.

potfish

Thank you but again I want to emphasize the point that I need the tent to overhang. The ladder will not be able to attach to fixing points flush with the side of the roof rack, due to the protruding box on the side of the trailer (and the "want" for an annex room also pretty much precludes tents without an overhang too). Edited the original message to make this point more prominent.

ttengineer

Adventurer
CVT just released the MT fury. It’s similar to the iKamper.

The Largest version opens to the left side, but it’s WAY big at 91” long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potfish

Wow.

I am learning that there are several people over on the Off Grid Trailers Facebook page that have mounted iKamper Skycamps reversed and none report having had any problems, so that might be my best plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears