Looking for Input

halfbreedinkc

I'm considering buying a small truck, and possibly converting it into a mild expo rig and I'd like some opinions. I'm looking at either the Ford Ranger or the GM S-series as a platform, and both have some good points as well as bad, but I'd like to know what folks in the expo community think. I don't need, nor want a full size truck, it's just me and my gear, and I can live/camp very minimalist...and it's not something I'll be driving around the world in, mainly mild to moderate off-road, back country where I can escape the insanity of the cities.

Won't consider foreign-made, period.

So what does everyone think?

HBinKC

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I think all the people who make Tacomas, Tundras etc here in North America will be sad. All kidding aside, you said it best yourself, both Rangers and S10/15 GMs have pluses and minuses. I would drive both and see which one suits you better. As far as setting it up for backcountry use, updated service work, a good set of all terrain tires, somewhere dry to sleep (shell or camper) and your personal gear is about all you need. If you are going to do longer trips or go far from civilization, you'll want to pack some spare parts and tools, emergency gear and maybe communication gear as well.

halfbreedinkc

More variety of parts for the Ranger in the aftermarket. Less funny looking with big tires.

That's kinda what I've been noticing.

I've also conducted my own "poll" (not scientific by any means) - just in counting the number of Ranger's VS S-series trucks I see daily in traffic here in KC, Ranger's are running about 4 to 1 ahead of the S-series. That tells me there's definitely a readily available supply of used parts out there.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
With the exception of the motor/trans, I believe the Ranger is the superior platform. Like you said, much more aftermarket support with things like suspension, bumpers, body panels, gears, etc. That being said, a ZR2 S-10 is a pretty sweet truck and should be the one you consider if you do end up going GM. Also you didn't mention the Dodge Dakota, not sure if it was on your list.

halfbreedinkc

With the exception of the motor/trans, I believe the Ranger is the superior platform. Like you said, much more aftermarket support with things like suspension, bumpers, body panels, gears, etc. That being said, a ZR2 S-10 is a pretty sweet truck and should be the one you consider if you do end up going GM. Also you didn't mention the Dodge Dakota, not sure if it was on your list.

I've been impressed with that ZR-2, looks pretty solid. I've considered the Dakota, but it's almost more than I need just like a full size...but I'm not writing it off either.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
The Dakota is an interesting mix. I had an 03 and it was a great in between truck. It was much smaller than a full-size, but big enough for me to be comfortable in (im 6'2"). It had a V8 which was awesome, and basically 1/2ton running gear. The down side is that there isn't alot of aftermarket support for them (ok almost none). So make sure you can get what you want before heading down that road.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
As an owner of a Ford Ranger, I of course am biased, but I also own a Chevy which has been much more reliable than the Ford. What year ranges for both trucks have you been looking at? Neither one will net great economy (about the same as a v8 powered full size), but I have driven an S10 and would put my money on my Ranger that had double the miles in the power department with the 4.3 vs. the 4.0. I would opt for a manual in either one of the trucks, though if you have to have an auto that would make me lean more towards the S series purely for the fact that to me, it feels like their autos shift a little smoother.

A really good wealth of tech information on the Ranger is www.therangerstation.com. I am a member on most of the Ranger forums, and pretty much dislike all of them since most of the people on them are whinny kids, but TRS seems to have some really helpful people, and the tech library has helped me out a ton.

halfbreedinkc

As an owner of a Ford Ranger, I of course am biased, but I also own a Chevy which has been much more reliable than the Ford. What year ranges for both trucks have you been looking at? Neither one will net great economy (about the same as a v8 powered full size), but I have driven an S10 and would put my money on my Ranger that had double the miles in the power department with the 4.3 vs. the 4.0. I would opt for a manual in either one of the trucks, though if you have to have an auto that would make me lean more towards the S series purely for the fact that to me, it feels like their autos shift a little smoother.

A really good wealth of tech information on the Ranger is www.therangerstation.com. I am a member on most of the Ranger forums, and pretty much dislike all of them since most of the people on them are whinny kids, but TRS seems to have some really helpful people, and the tech library has helped me out a ton.

I guess it would have helped to put the model year down eh? I'm fairly open on either, between 86 to 97 (and call me weird but I prefer the first gen body style on both makes), preferably the "extra" cab, and I will go for the V6, may be puling a trailer in the future, nothing overly huge, but it won't be a 500lb pop-up either, and would like to have the extra oomph. I'd prefer a manual - that's all I drove for years, and still prefer it, but that isn't a deal breaker. I've read a lot of good things about the 4.3L Vortec but never owned or driven one. I did join TRS, but haven't had a chance to really dig into their tech library, tho I noticed it seemed pretty extensive...would love to have a weekend where I had some down time and could just surf the threads, but don't see that happening anytime soon.

Thanks for all the input so far guys, it's sincerely appreciated.

Colby Jack

Traveler
I had a 97 Ranger that I drove for three years. Loved it. It was very reliable, comfortable, and affordable. I totaled it and bought a Silverado, and have regretted going full size since then. I have three kids, which necessitated the larger back seat and towing ability for our toys. I always drooled over the Camburg parts, and dreamed of going fiberglass front fenders with a tiny lift. I would look into the Tremble package if I bought one again. I had a XLT package, but it came with a kickin stereo that I robbed when it rolled!:ylsmoke:

Colby Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears