Looking for opinions/comparisons of the various Japanese cabover 4x4s

armstrom

Like so many others, I'm considering building an "expedition vehicle" (in my case, more of a roadtrip/offroad camper). I'm not fully set on going this approach but I want to explore my options. Here's how I see the choices but I'm not sure how some of the less common (basically, anything other than Mitsu/Canter FG) trucks hold up.
  • US market Fuso FG: Hard to find for a good price but also in good shape on the used market. Lots of support, almost guaranteed to have Air Con and a turbo engine, only available in single cab.
  • Imported JDM Fuso FG: Pretty easy to find, oddly. Former firetrucks usually have very low mileage. Unfortunately very hard to find with AC but crew cab is almost ubiquitous. The engine is almost always NA so I'm not sure about highway usage or in the mountains. These seem to have a good reputation (lots of Ausie builds). Some decent aftermarket support from what I can tell (Super single wheels, bumers/barwork, suspension upgrades, etc...)
  • Isuzu Elf, Nissan Atlas, Toyota Hiace: I know nothing about these three. These seem to also be common fire trucks so mileage is typically low and typically crew cab. no clue on aftermarket support or capabilities in light offroad (overlanding) situations or reliability... Also, nearly all of the imports I've found have smaller non-turbo diesels so I'm not sure how they will do at altitude or on the highway.

I've also been looking at the canter rosa buses (in 4x4) but it's harder to find those with lower mileage/in decent shape.
So... any opinions? Does anyone have any experience with the Isuzu Elf, Nissan Atlas or Toyota HiAce for conversion? Would love to hear some suggestions... or do I just take the lame/boring route and build out a front wheel drive Dodge Promaster with some knobby tires that won't actually go anywhere? So many choices!
-Matt

BigSkyBrad

The distinct advantage of cabovers, and vans too, is the greater habitat length per wheelbase. To get anywhere near that, a single cab long bed F-series/Ram/et al is needed, and in Nth America they are probably a better choice given the huge workshop networks and aftermarket upgrade market there is.

I'd love to travel through Nth America in my Fuso, but I'd hate to break down there, and that would go for any JDM also - although the older the truck, the easier to MacGyver it.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
In Australia the Isuzu and Fuso/Canter are quite a common 4x4 light truck and they have been available here for many years, so finding one is not that difficult.
These trucks can be a decent base vehicle for an expedition style camper, but not without some significant modifications, especially with the suspension, which is normally horrendous by default.

Things are a bit different in the US/Canadian market, because the model options are much more limited.
I do not know how Fuso pulling out of the US market affects support or parts pricing, but I cannot imagine it would be helpful.

There are a few US/Canadian members here that have gone down the JDM route. If you were considering going down that path yourself, contacting them directly might be your best option, as they will obviously have had first hand experience dealing with these trucks.

I would buy this if you are looking seems like a great deal but I have no idea.

For me after buying the older non jDm fuso there are a lot of give and takes. It’s amazing and fits and anywhere and in any parking spot. Love it for that. However because of this it’s cramped and has a horrible ride. But because it’s a cab over the you have amazing views and great control off-road.
Super singles are easy to find now and many people make them. Parts in the US are easy it’s just down to ordering them and they will drop ship them to wherever you want but they are more expensive. It’s pretty easy to get them worked on most commercial maintenance companies don’t mind at all and in fact they enjoy it.

soaringpotato

This is a phenomenal deal. The only time you really see these FGs with this kind of mileage is in the Northeast after the frames have completely rotten out.

Fuso parts are still easily attainable here in the US. https://s1partscenter.com/ and my local dealership so far have all the parts I needed. Lots of online resources to help you out.

Another thing is there is a ton of overlap between the FG and FE (2wd) version of this trucks. Facebook Marketplace has been a gold mine of used parts.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior