Looking for real world 255/80/17 Cooper STT MAX Reviews For 1st gen Tundra DC

Jb1rd

Explorer
I have a Toytech Boss kit on order and have never driven the taller skinnier tire but have been really intrigued with the look and performance. Has anyone been rocking these tires, words of advise regarding drive-ability in snow country, load capacity and how to adjust speedo for correct MPH & MPG? (Will a scan gauge do it or is it re-gearing) Thank you in advance1

High_Country

Adventurer
I have those exact tires exact size on my 2015 4runner. They are a load range E tire in that size so load capacity should be no issue for you.
I've had them through both snow and mud and thought they performed great. I am also getting great durability out of them and they should live up to their 50,000 mile advertising. At least I think it was 50,000.

I'm very happy with them. I was surprised at the lack of road noise given how aggressive they are.

Watt maker

I run this exact tire on my 2008 4runner. I've only had them on since April so I haven't had much of a chance to test in the snow. I've had them in the mud a few short times and they did great. I've been stuck at work so I don't have any long offroad trip reports but I can say they are pretty damn quiet and smooth for how aggressive they are. I haven't calculated any mpg numbers yet but it seems like the fuel usage is about the same as when running BFG ATs in a 265/70/17. I've done the wide tire thing in the past and I am over that. These "skinnies" work so much better. I may even pick up a set for my 2014 4runner.

thefatkid

Observer
I run the STMaxx on my 2006 4door Tundra. I run the 255/85r16 that is, for the most part, the same tire. Snow traction is really good. They are load range E, very stiff tire. I have not tried any speed correction yet. I'm also running the Boss lift from Toytec, out of the box with the 650lbs spring they were only sitting at 1.75" lift. I need to add some more in there and align it again.

marathonracer

Adventurer
I run the STMaxx on my 2006 4door Tundra. I run the 255/85r16 that is, for the most part, the same tire. Snow traction is really good. They are load range E, very stiff tire. I have not tried any speed correction yet. I'm also running the Boss lift from Toytec, out of the box with the 650lbs spring they were only sitting at 1.75" lift. I need to add some more in there and align it again.

Would love to see a picture and hear a little more about snow performance... Packed? Deep stuff?

Jb1rd

Explorer
X2 ON THE PICS, especially since I have pretty much the same truck :)
PS I tried to use one of those simulator things on one of the tire websites and I could not get it to work :(
Would love to see a picture and hear a little more about snow performance... Packed? Deep stuff?

thefatkid

Observer

X2 ON THE PICS, especially since I have pretty much the same truck :)
PS I tried to use one of those simulator things on one of the tire websites and I could not get it to work :(

I just gave my truck away for the weekend. It is at Insain Fab fitting a bed rack and rock sliders while I build his differentials. I have some bad pics on my build thread..... https://www.tundras.com/threads/2006-4door-fatkid-style.5009/

I didn't get too much snow under these tires this year. The little I did, they felt better then the BFG KM2 in the same size. I love the size because it is easy on the truck and easy to clear.

marathonracer

Adventurer
I ran 33 10.5 km2s on my Tacoma an made the swap to an 06 tundra DC for the same reasons as you. The km2s were manageable but a little sketchy on packed stuff. I love the size for my uses and have debated siped km2s, St maxx, and siped bighorns for when my kos wear out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman