Lord Fusor 108B

Red Crow

I have an M416 trailer,actually 2, that I want to make a lid for. I want a lid that is strong enough to hold a 130# tent, but lighter than an all steel one. I thought about having one made out of aluminum, but it would be expensive. I can weld steel, but have never tried aluminum, and don't have access to a spool gun. So, I thought about building the frame out of steel and using aluminum for the skin. I talk to a friend who does automotive body work and he suggested Lord Fusor 108B. I called the company and what I wanted it for and they said it would do the trick. Has anyone used this product? If so, what are your thoughts? Any other ideas on how to make a light weight lid would be appreciated as well. FYI. I have looked at a lot of examples on this and other sites. I don't want to make it out of wood, nor do I want to make the skin out of more than one piece. Thanks in advance.

TwinStick

Explorer
Sounds like you narrowed it down to aluminum. I guess now is a good time to add aluminum to the list of things you can weld. If not, then buy the material, cut it to your specs to save money & then pay someone to weld it for you.

Red Crow

Sounds like you narrowed it down to aluminum. I guess now is a good time to add aluminum to the list of things you can weld. If not, then buy the material, cut it to your specs to save money & then pay someone to weld it for you.

I may end up doing just that. Someone also thought I might be able to get and old fiberglass topper and cut it above the windows for the height, anywhere else I needed to, and then just re-glass it.

tarditi

Explorer
4x6 truck cap - stepside shortbed

I looked at a few different options and decided on plywood with bedliner to protect it - will have gas struts to help lift it as there will be a yakima megawarrior cargo basket on top.

Stranjer

Im not sure if you've pulled the trigger yet but I wouldn't be scared to use 108b fusor. I work in a body shop too and we use it there. The door skins are held on with 108. The edges are folded over too to help holding skin and since you wouldn't be able to fold the edges maybe rivet it on with the 108b.

Gene

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior