Low-Profile Fuel/Jerry Cans?

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I'm looking for a lower-profile fuel/jerry can to mount on my roof rack (BajaRack Mule).

nato-jerry-can-10-liter.jpg

So far, one of the better options seems to be the Wavian 10L jerry can (above), although then it requires the nozzle and the carry cage, too.

I'm really not looking for anything bigger than 10L (2.6 gallons); it's for an emergency and the Suzuki has a lilliputian tank anyhow.

I was wondering if there was anything else out there. Any other suggestions? Can I mount a Rotopax flat on its back?

java

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for a lower-profile fuel/jerry can to mount on my roof rack (BajaRack Mule).

nato-jerry-can-10-liter.jpg

So far, one of the better options seems to be the Wavian 10L jerry can (above), although then it requires the nozzle and the carry cage, too.

I'm really not looking for anything bigger than 10L (2.6 gallons); it's for an emergency and the Suzuki has a lilliputian tank anyhow.

I was wondering if there was anything else out there. Any other suggestions? Can I mount a Rotopax flat on its back?
AFAIK you can mount a rotopax flat. I think that would be best of a roof rack.

A

AngryRedBird

true on the roto's but seeing how this is an expedition forum.. would it make sense to show cast the AEV fuel caddy..

fuelcaddy_tbl.jpg

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/products/body-exterior/fuel-caddy

Although this is not intended for carrying fuel, I like the idea of having the roto close to the body and not on the roof or hanging off the back..
ROE-JK-WR-2T.jpg
Rebel off road makes this cut out for all hard top jeeps.. and with a few alterations, I can see someone making this work for carrying fuel also.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Unfortunately, the spare-tire-mounted options aren't going to work. The tailgate already has added weight on it and rattles pretty badly (plus, I've already replaced one tailgate due to sheetmetal pulling away from the extra weight, and now my spare tire mount just cracked). What I need is to get a swing-away rear tire carrier and bumper fabbed up.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Wedco nato-style non-carb cans can lay on their sides with nary a drip. Just need to nestle it in a good mounting solution, and make sure your gasket is fresh. (mine's 8 years old and is still pliable, but my can lives inside most of the time.)

shootandfish1

I have bought 6 of the 5 liter NATO cans from Lexington Container Co. They are a pure joy to use. No leaks, no problems at all. Excellent quality. These cans are made by Valspar in Lativa. There is a Youtube video showing their testing procedures.

http://http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Nato-Jerry-Cans.html
s
I've got the nozzle and just can not believe how much better these work compare to the newer CARB ones or my old Blitzs.

I have a 5 liter, full of gas, laying on its side, in my boat for over a month. This can has not leaked a single drop.

Although the profile of a 5 liter turned on edge would be about the same an upright 2.5 liter, I'm wanting some 2.5 liter cans also (I don't need 5 liters of extra gas in the boat and thinking one would be excellent for Coleman fuel.)

Very few products have impressed my to whole-heartily recommend as well as these cans/nozzles.

Fred

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've been flat-mounting 2 x 3 gallon RotoPax cans for 3 years now with no issues and no leaks or drips.

2013_0521_083242AA_zps1e4e47e1.jpg

The wiffleball bat, of course, is optional. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman